• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Binocular Design: A Personal Look at Selected Bushnell, Eden, GPO & Swarovski Models Plus a Surprise Guest & a Late Arrival (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Bushnell Legend M 8x42 and Trophy 8x32
The Trophy is the one on the left. Is this the ‘tactical’-look or should we call it ‘chunky’ or just ugly? The Legend on the right doesn’t go quite as far in the chunky direction but it goes quite far enough, and the dioptre ring, not quite filling the space under the eyecup, looks curiously like an after-thought. Both have arbitrary red stripes and the Legend’s bridges defy any concept of aesthetic taste. Not impressed.
Bushnell Legend M 8x42 and Trophy 8x32.jpg
GPO Passion ED 8x32
All the GPOs I have handled have been finished to a very high standard. By that I mean excellent texture to the armour and deep, lustrous paint. This Passion ED might get low marks out of ten for its name, but it certainly looks cool and sophisticated. I particularly like the slight outward tilt of the armour over the bridge that flares gently up to the focus wheel. A beautifully executed design.
GPO Passion ED 8x32.JPG
Eden XP 8x32
Eden’s compact little 8x32 has a personality all of its own and the treatment of the bridge armour, with its curves and points on the underside is suggestive (to me at least) of bat-wings.
Eden XP 8x32.JPG
Swarovski CL 8x30
These are truly elegant from their shallow Meopta MeoStar-like eyecups, to the sweeping bridge extensions resembling a Fu-Manchu moustache. The famous hawk logo is classy but I would delete the inelegant side-bar with the brand name in it.
Swarovski CL 8x30.JPG
Swarovski EL 8.5x42 Swarovision & Surprise Guest, an Early Zeiss SF 10x42
Two handsome binos side-by –side. As with the CL I think the side-bar containing the brand name on the EL is a bit gross, and I really do not like the green focus wheel, but overall it is a nice piece of work. The SF is harmonious, but if I were to nit-pick I would point out that the Conquest HD has more elegant strap lugs.
Early SF10x42 & EL SV 8.5x42.JPG
Ultravid HD 8x32
I forgot I had this photo so this is late addition. How does Leica do it? They effortlessly combine no-nonsense practicality with elegance. The question this begs isn’t so much ‘does anyone do it better?’ but, ‘does anyone do it so consistently well?’
Uvid 8x32.JPG

Lee

Last edited:

A2GG

Beth
Supporter
United States
L,
The field pro EL has a black focuser. I agree with you about the unattractive green focuser of the earlier version.

I agree about the 'bat wings' look of the Eden. I always thought the black accents on the little Swaro CL reminded me of a bat ... or a Swift.

I like the CL the best and then the GPO.

I agree the Busnells aren't attractive, but the smaller one looks like it may have a good ergonomic feel to it.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
L,
The field pro EL has a black focuser. I agree with you about the unattractive green focuser of the earlier version.

I agree about the 'bat wings' look of the Eden. I always thought the black accents on the little Swaro CL reminded me of a bat ... or a Swift.

I like the CL the best and then the GPO.

I agree the Busnells aren't attractive, but the smaller one looks like it may have a good ergonomic feel to it.
Yes, I see what you mean about the CL's Swift Wings. Guess you don't remember Fu-Manchu :cool:.
Lee

mwhogue

Well Known Member
Supporter
Thanks Lee, very enjoyable pictures and observations. To the extent you own or have handled these and are inclined to comment on your experience:

The Bushnell Trophy has a number of features apparently intended to aid handling including grip surfaces on the eyecups, very prominent grip features on the focus wheel, diopter ring (and obviously accessible tripod adapter screw), elaborately designed strap lugs and sculpted body design. Do any of these features actually aid in handling? Does it all add up to "binoculars especially designed to be used on cold wet days with gloves" perhaps?

WRT to both the GPO and the Eden, does either bridge configuration aid in handling or are they mainly nice cosmetic touches?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks Lee, very enjoyable pictures and observations. To the extent you own or have handled these and are inclined to comment on your experience:

The Bushnell Trophy has a number of features apparently intended to aid handling including grip surfaces on the eyecups, very prominent grip features on the focus wheel, diopter ring (and obviously accessible tripod adapter screw), elaborately designed strap lugs and sculpted body design. Do any of these features actually aid in handling? Does it all add up to "binoculars especially designed to be used on cold wet days with gloves" perhaps?

WRT to both the GPO and the Eden, does either bridge configuration aid in handling or are they mainly nice cosmetic touches?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike
Hi Mike
The grip features on the Trophy were useful because the focus was so darned stiff to move. The Trophy, which you asked about was good in the hand and I remember in my review I referred to it as 'grabable', go to https://www.birdforum.net/threads/t...ushnell-legend-m-8x42-and-trophy-8x32.342002/

Both the GPO and Eden were comfortable in the hand so to this extent the bridges did what they were supposed to do. as well as adding visual appeal.

Lee

BabyDov

Supporter
United States
Personally, I like the Swarovski name on the side. Would look a bit plane without it.
I agree. It's interesting that Swarovski chose to make their name less conspicuous on the Nl's. While the name is there, it is not an inset silver name on a black plate, like on the Els. Rather, on the Nl, the Swarovski name is dug into green rubber armour. Although the Swarovski name is in spelled out in bigger letters, you might not notice it, unless you look for it. I thought the EL name plate looked more elegant, even if a bit more flashy. I think if you had a Rolls, most would want to show off its trademarked hood ornament and not hide it. Why, then, hide the Swarovski name?

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
I agree. It's interesting that Swarovski chose to make their name less conspicuous on the Nl's. While the name is there, it is not an inset silver name on a black plate, like on the Els. Rather, on the Nl, the Swarovski name is dug into green rubber armour. Although the Swarovski name is in spelled out in bigger letters, you might not notice it, unless you look for it. I thought the EL name plate looked more elegant, even if a bit more flashy. I think if you had a Rolls, most would want to show off its trademarked hood ornament and not hide it. Why, then, hide the Swarovski name?
No need to hide it. I would move the hawk logo a little and place the Swarovski name underneath it in smaller font and the same silver as the hawk.
Lee

Users who are viewing this thread