• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular for flowers. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hola
Estoy buscando unos prismáticos para observar flores, ¿alguna idea?
Gracias
tico

Mod here. Not sure you meant to post in Spanish?

Hello
I am looking for some binoculars to observe flowers, any ideas?
Thanks
attic

Last edited by a moderator:
Which would read something like:
"Hi, I'm searching for binoculars to watch flowers. Do you have any idea? Thank you."

The first thing that comes to my mind are the Pentax Papilio. There is a 6.5x21 and a 8.5x21 version. I have the 6.5 and like them very much. You can find many reviews and opinions here in Birdforum.

They offer impressive close-up (down to 50 cm) and thus provide amazing views of the petals, stamen, etc. The view is really quite sharp, and you can get so close that you will discover the amazing texture of pollen magnified, and quite often a surprising tiny bug that you hadn't noticed without the binoculars. They're like having a small loupe, but way more comfortable, and then you can just raise your head and focus further to watch birds. The Papilio are a must for any nature enthusiast, be it flowers, bugs, lichen, etc.

EDIT: cross posted with the mod, sorry. No intention to be Mr Smartypants ;)

Opticron Traveller 8x32.

Binoculars are excellent for looking at flowers and have helped us monitor populations of Bog Orchid Hammarbya paludosa.

Lee

Hi,

one more vote for the Papilio 6.5x21 for flowers (and insects and birds). Small, light, not expensive and offers really great close-up views of small objects down to 50cm.

Any other pair of binoculars will work too but you need to be further away - 1m at least, or even 2 or 3m.

Joachim

Hi,

one more vote for the Papilio 6.5x21 for flowers (and insects and birds). Small, light, not expensive and offers really great close-up views of small objects down to 50cm.

Any other pair of binoculars will work too but you need to be further away - 1m at least, or even 2 or 3m.

Joachim
Being 2m away from your target flower is normally a good idea because any closer and there is a risk you will be trampling the shoots of other flowers yet to grow to a visible height. And often with the rarer flowers they occur in assemblages of special flowers which again risk being trampled by too close an approach. There are special habitats that are very sensitive to trampling too, for example bogs and runnels can be permanently changed and damaged by trampling.
Lee

Being 2m away from your target flower is normally a good idea because any closer and there is a risk you will be trampling the shoots of other flowers yet to grow to a visible height. And often with the rarer flowers they occur in assemblages of special flowers which again risk being trampled by too close an approach. There are special habitats that are very sensitive to trampling too, for example bogs and runnels can be permanently changed and damaged by trampling.
Lee
Lee, while I completely agree with what you say, I must point out that having the possibility of being 50 cm away does not imply that you must be 50 cm away all the time, but that you could benefit from that very special feature should the possibility arrive. Over here in Ibiza there is a lovely an unexpected (often disregarded by tourists) abundance of orchids, especially from the Oprhys genus (there's even an endemism, O. balearica). They pop on shadowy patches of pine forests and along the sides of roads where you can observe them from 20 cm without the risk of any damage (basically, because in some cases you might as well be standing on tarmac with an orchid a feet a way). While it's nice to watch them through the Traveller (which I would rate as an overall better device than the Papilio, also way more pricy), the experience of observing them through the Papilio is simply on quite another level of detail and in my experience creates a certain awe that the Traveller simply don't. But then, YMMV, obviously.

As a general purpose device, or if I was to choose and keep only one, I'll obviously take the Traveller any day of the week (I sure love mine), but for that particular purpose, the Papilio offer IMHO something that the Traveller just can't match, because if you're on an "orchid hunt", you are likely to stop by the bark of a tree and observe the lichens or the work of that tiny spider that lives underneath that petal.

(I attach two surprising examples of orchis by the side of the road, easily reachable without any harm :) ).

Attachments

• Orchids_Road_1.jpeg
    Orchids_Road_1.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Orchids_Road_2.jpeg
    Orchids_Road_2.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Lee, while I completely agree with what you say, I must point out that having the possibility of being 50 cm away does not imply that you must be 50 cm away all the time, but that you could benefit from that very special feature should the possibility arrive. Over here in Ibiza there is a lovely an unexpected (often disregarded by tourists) abundance of orchids, especially from the Oprhys genus (there's even an endemism, O. balearica). They pop on shadowy patches of pine forests and along the sides of roads where you can observe them from 20 cm without the risk of any damage (basically, because in some cases you might as well be standing on tarmac with an orchid a feet a way). While it's nice to watch them through the Traveller (which I would rate as an overall better device than the Papilio, also way more pricy), the experience of observing them through the Papilio is simply on quite another level of detail and in my experience creates a certain awe that the Traveller simply don't. But then, YMMV, obviously.

As a general purpose device, or if I was to choose and keep only one, I'll obviously take the Traveller any day of the week (I sure love mine), but for that particular purpose, the Papilio offer IMHO something that the Traveller just can't match, because if you're on an "orchid hunt", you are likely to stop by the bark of a tree and observe the lichens or the work of that tiny spider that lives underneath that petal.

(I attach two surprising examples of orchis by the side of the road, easily reachable without any harm :) ).
And I agree with you too. My post was a cautionary note for those who might not have considered the conservation aspect of viewing distance to subject. We have seen roadside verges just like you describe in France in the Vercors and Languedoc and a very close approach is certainly possible in those circumstances.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back