• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Binocular Sightings (1 Viewer)

has530

Not to be a snob, but when did Bushnell achieve alpha status?

I must have missed something.
It is actually somewhat the opposite. In their heyday (~50's-80's) Bushnell imported and sold bins from budget up to alpha from a variety of manufacturers. The Rangemaster made by FPO (Fujinon) was arguably the finest 7x35 binocular ever made and the Elite compacts probably the best reverse-porro and were alphas of their time. I am sure others on this forum could give a more detailed history of the company but it was a steady decline in quality until most manufacturing was outsourced to china in the 90s and the company/reputation of the modern Bushnell you are probably thinking of.

Ratal

It is actually somewhat the opposite. In their heyday (~50's-80's) Bushnell imported and sold bins from budget up to alpha from a variety of manufacturers. The Rangemaster made by FPO (Fujinon) was arguably the finest 7x35 binocular ever made and the Elite compacts probably the best reverse-porro and were alphas of their time. I am sure others on this forum could give a more detailed history of the company but it was a steady decline in quality until most manufacturing was outsourced to china in the 90s and the company/reputation of the modern Bushnell you are probably thinking of.
Offttt...525 feet FoV at 1000... The Rangemaster was a true Alpha of its day. Stunning bin. Absolutely stunning.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Not to be a snob, but when did Bushnell achieve alpha status?

I must have missed something.
"Alpha" status has mutated somewhat in recent years.
If my memory serves me correctly this term used to be reserved for brands that had introduced major technical innovations such as Zeiss (for anti-reflective and phase coatings, and Leica for the use of Uppendahl prisms) but now seems to be applied to models of binoculars that are deemed to perform exceptionally well.

Lee

yarrellii

Supporter
Live and learn.

Thanks to all who responded. I guess I did indeed "miss something."
Count me in as well; I did also learn something today. I vaguely remember reading about this model, and today, after reading this post, just went and check on different sources, like Pinac's wonderful Pinacollection (here), Cloudy Nights (here) and finally, out of sheer curiosity, checked eBay... where I've discovered there's currently one Rangemaster 7x35 being offered for (hold your breath), 1900 US dollars. Feast your eyes.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-09-22 a las 12.54.12.png

In case you have an itch in your pocket, you can find the offer here ;)

lilcrazy2

United States
Count me in as well; I did also learn something today. I vaguely remember reading about this model, and today, after reading this post, just went and check on different sources, like Pinac's wonderful Pinacollection (here), Cloudy Nights (here) and finally, out of sheer curiosity, checked eBay... where I've discovered there's currently one Rangemaster 7x35 being offered for (hold your breath), 1900 US dollars. Feast your eyes.

View attachment 1470845

In case you have an itch in your pocket, you can find the offer here ;)
I had always read about the Rangemasters being a superb wide angle bino. Back 10 or 11 years ago when FrankD and I were buying and trying wide angle and older Nikon WA porros, I had 2 of the Rangemasters go thru my hands. I never thought they were the cats meow as advertised on the optics and actually preferred a pair of MIJ 7x35 Bausch & Lomb Legacy 11 degree porros which I still have. I always felt the Rangemasters were overrated, as well as large, blocky and heavy. They reminded me of the Sears Discoverer porros which were pretty good.
I see many, many Rangemasters for sale on ebay ranging from $67 and up with many in the 150 to 200 range
Thanx for the link to the CN review as didn't realize there were so many different models. An interesting read.

Ratal

Had an hour up on the Loch.

Myself with Optircron Aurora 8x42.

3 x Zeiss SF 10x42
1x Swaro NL 12x on Tripod. 12x on Tripod is insane. Loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread