• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Sightings (1 Viewer)

Went on a Birdwalk with a local club, optics included:
1x NL Pure 42mm
3x EL 42mm
1x Zeiss SF 42mm
1x Nikon Pro Staff
3x Nikon Monarch
1x Vortex Viper

1x ancient Kowa PROMINAR Spotter
1x Kowa 883 (same guy had the NL Pure)

What was interesting to me was this was the highest percentage of premium optics being sported on a recent birding trip. In my area mid-range Nikons tends to dominate.
I was thinking the same thing, that’s a lot of people with a lot of good glass. 😃. It does seem to hold true that if someone has a alpha spotter , they usually have alpha binoculars , at least in my experience. I would say with confidence that the majority of alpha spotters that I see are Swarovski. I see more Vortex and Kowa spotters than Zeiss , yet rarely see Kowa binoculars.

Outing yesterday in a reserve in Switzerland (Fanel)
  • Around 5-10 EL
  • 1 Monarch
  • 1 Prostaff
  • 3 ATS 65
  • 1 ATX 85 (I was able to look inside and I was more than disappointed with the image quality. This is the second ATX 85 I've looked into and been disappointed)
  • Some old binoculars

These 2 ATX that were more than disappointing make me think that I will go to Kowa for my spotting scope

I don’t know exactly what was wrong but each time the view was reaaaally underwhelming. I could resolve way better with my NL pure 10x32 than both the ATX 85 when we were looking at a spoonbill ~250m away
And my girlfriend who isn’t a dedicated birder nor an optic snob (she didn’t know it was a Swarovski spotter) said the exact same thing

It does seem to hold true that if someone has a alpha spotter , they usually have alpha binoculars
Yes, that’s been my experience. Curiously, not always the same brand. Very common to see a Kowa or Meopta spotter paired with Zeiss or SW binocular. It is more common to see SW spotters paired with SW binos, but I’ve also seen a fair number of premium Zeiss binos around those necks as well.

the majority of alpha spotters that I see are Swarovski
I do quite a bit of birding in habitats where a spotter is a good idea. IME here in the mid-Atlantic Kowa is the most frequently spotted Alpha. Swarovski is not far behind; then an occasional Meopta MeoStar; infrequently a Leica or Zeiss. With non-alphas Vortex dominates, followed by the lower-end Bushnells, Celestrons, etc.

What was interesting to me was this was the highest percentage of premium optics being sported on a recent birding trip. In my area mid-range Nikons tends to dominate.
I've seen the same thing, Nikon Monarch 5's and 7's are the most common binos here.

Went out with a small group from the club Saturday, all way more experienced at birding than me, there were nine of us, it must have been a discriminating group! Zeiss barely lost out to Swaro:

3 NL Pure 8x42
1 EL 8x32
3 Zeiss SF 8x42
1 battered Athlon 42mm
1 unknown 42mm roof, possibly older Nikon Monarch

Last edited:
Met and had a short conversation with a local birder an hour ago. He was carrying a Bresser 32/34, probably an 8x.
Something modern or a porro? I have an old Bresser 8x30 porro, apparantly made by Kamakura J-B133 (the number is on the inside next to the prism) and apart from the old coatings it is excellent. Bak4 and really, really sharp. In the league of a Komz 7x30.

Something modern or a porro? I have an old Bresser 8x30 porro, apparantly made by Kamakura J-B133 (the number is on the inside next to the prism) and apart from the old coatings it is excellent. Bak4 and really, really sharp. In the league of a Komz 7x30.

Phillipp,

I hadn't thought of that. He had a modern roof model Breser. I almost never see anyone in the parks around my house with binoculars even though we have a number of beautiful resident birds.

Mike

I don’t know exactly what was wrong but each time the view was reaaaally underwhelming. I could resolve way better with my NL pure 10x32 than both the ATX 85 when we were looking at a spoonbill ~250m away
And my girlfriend who isn’t a dedicated birder nor an optic snob (she didn’t know it was a Swarovski spotter) said the exact same thing
Hi, I have the ATX 85 and a small collection of Swarovski binoculars, but I think I have now found my ideal set up which is the NL 12x42 mounted on a tripod.
The view I get is amazing, I have never been particularly fond of the view I have through the ATX compared to the binoculars.

Phillipp,

I hadn't thought of that. He had a modern roof model Breser. I almost never see anyone in the parks around my house with binoculars even though we have a number of beautiful resident birds.

Mike
Thanks :). I almost never see people using binos either. Even last week while on vacation in the Lüneburger Heide, a nature reserve, I only saw 2 people using binos. Most people I saw who were obviously birding used cameras with huge lenses. I think I saw a Zeiss SF though around the neck of one birder but I'm not sure. Only had a glimpse.

I haven’t come across any other birders for a long stretch now. I’m going to just a handful of spots in my little town lately and not too far outside of it.

I haven’t come across any other birders for a long stretch now. I’m going to just a handful of spots in my little town lately and not too far outside of it.
Still early in the season. Going to be some warm weather this week, I’ll bet my observing areas will be hopping.

HA! While Im only in California sometimes it feels like we're in Australia with seasons flipped... Beth we are on the flipside of you and Paul I gather. Now seeing the end of our arguably best birding season as the winter migration ends and birds disappear north.

Another season with Swaro ELs the most common best bino, but still not common. Two NLs this year, well 3 really. Lots of Nikon, I still think do to REI. Zeiss Conquests. Maybe an SF, not many. Curious. There seems a regional thing to it, as small as this "region" is. East towards Walnut Creek where there is a lovely Leica shop and terrific birding at Valle Vista Resevoir, we do see Leica binos. Dont know the models well enough to spot which is which and it seems impolite to ask...

New to spotting scope this past fall, Im now noticing those more. This to is curious. Brands are all over the place, but Kowas most common. As apt to see Opticron as Swaro or Zeiss. Most seem older, well used. The curious part is I see way more cameras than scopes.

Wonder why.

HA! While Im only in California sometimes it feels like we're in Australia with seasons flipped... Beth we are on the flipside of you and Paul I gather. Now seeing the end of our arguably best birding season as the winter migration ends and birds disappear north.

Another season with Swaro ELs the most common best bino, but still not common. Two NLs this year, well 3 really. Lots of Nikon, I still think do to REI. Zeiss Conquests. Maybe an SF, not many. Curious. There seems a regional thing to it, as small as this "region" is. East towards Walnut Creek where there is a lovely Leica shop and terrific birding at Valle Vista Resevoir, we do see Leica binos. Dont know the models well enough to spot which is which and it seems impolite to ask...

New to spotting scope this past fall, Im now noticing those more. This to is curious. Brands are all over the place, but Kowas most common. As apt to see Opticron as Swaro or Zeiss. Most seem older, well used. The curious part is I see way more cameras than scopes.

Wonder why.
Tom, I assumed Beth was in the northeast of the States, NY and surrounding area. No doubt I see more cameras than scopes 10 fold. Some with binoculars, most without. Lots of times their with others that have binoculars. I will say the majority of Spotters will have a pair of binoculars around their neck.
As far getting close enough to see what’s being carried , proceed at your own risk. I’m in NY, not the most friendly people around, but I will say the birders and scenic observers are not the most intimidating individuals. They’re probably more worried about me than I am about them 😂.

Kowa, Vortex and Swaro are the most prevalent spotters in all the areas I visit. Nikon Cameras followed by Nikon are also most popular with an occasional Leica.

Paul

Big group on Birdwalk this morning - here’s what folks had:
  • 2x Swarovski EL 42mm
  • Swarovski EL 32mm
  • Zeiss SF 10x42 (mine)
  • Leica Ultravid 10x32
  • Zeiss Terra 42mm
  • 4x Nikon Prostaff
  • Nikon HG 42mm
  • 3x Vortex Diamondback
  • 2x Minox 42mm
  • Swift Audubon 8.5x44
  • Zen-Ray 7x43

Cameras:
  • Nikon D500 w/Tamron 200-600
  • Nikon V2 w/Sigma 200-600
  • Canon SX60
  • Canon SX70

Personally, seeing the Swift and Zen-Ray were both a special treat. Here’s a pic of the Zen-Ray

6EC24448-134A-493E-8D28-4D2A0F5E8587.jpeg

• 2x Swarovski EL 42mm
  • Swarovski EL 32mm
  • Zeiss SF 10x42 (mine)
  • Leica Ultravid 10x32
  • Zeiss Terra 42mm
  • 4x Nikon Prostaff
  • Nikon HG 42mm
  • 3x Vortex Diamondback
  • 2x Minox 42mm
  • Swift Audubon 8.5x44
  • Zen-Ray 7x43

Cameras:
  • Canon SX60
  • Canon SX70

Personally, seeing the Swift and Zen-Ray were both a special treat. Here’s a pic of the Zen-Ray

View attachment 1504493
Wow thats some hopping area. Lol the Zenray guy is color coordinated. :cool::p

Last edited:
  • 2x Swarovski EL 42mm
  • Swarovski EL 32mm
  • Zeiss SF 10x42 (mine)
  • Leica Ultravid 10x32
  • Zeiss Terra 42mm
  • 4x Nikon Prostaff
  • Nikon HG 42mm
  • 3x Vortex Diamondback
  • 2x Minox 42mm
  • Swift Audubon 8.5x44
  • Zen-Ray 7x43

Cameras:
  • Canon SX60
  • Canon SX70

View attachment 1504493
What were the minox models? I have never even seen a pair in person.

What were the minox models? I have never even seen a pair in person.
Didn’t pay that much attention - they were older models ~40ish mm (42-44). I see the one guy occasionally. Next time I’ll make it a point to do a closer examination. Most folks don’t mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back