• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars and scope to Egypt - yes or no? (1 Viewer)

jurek

I am looking for experiences in people who recently travelled to Hurghada or Luxor with bins and scopes. Are they allowed or hassle/confiscated at the customs? Pack them in carry-on luggage or checked luggage?

As you may be aware, in the last few years, some people are getting them confiscated (until their return flight) at the airport in Hurghada; it's not as bad as Cairo, but it still happens. When I had a migratory soaring bird contract about 4 years ago, all our team (c. 15 - 20) got through both airports fine, but since then I understand it's got pretty bad. There is some discussion of it on the FB Birding in Egypt group. Basically, it's a gamble and the odds aren't good. :-(

This never used to be a problem - I have taken bins and scope on all three of my Egyptian birding trips but all were 20 years or more ago.
Same problem is reported frequently in Jordan and less often in Tunisia, and of course binoculars are not allowed into Algeria. It puts you off going to these places.

Steve

Same problem is reported frequently in Jordan and less often in Tunisia. It puts you off going to these places.
Steve

Oh heck I really fancied Jordan!

Tunisia has been tricky for a while - a group of 7 of us got most of our scopes (except for a couple we hid) retained til departure way back in 1992. :-(

How bad is Jordan for this do you know?...

Just resurrecting this thread as am off to Hurghada tomorrow for a family holiday. Does anyone have any recent experience of taking binoculars to Egypt? It's not a birding break but ideally planned to take Opticron Traveller 8x32 for any birds around the resort. Thanks.

Just resurrecting this thread as am off to Hurghada tomorrow for a family holiday. Does anyone have any recent experience of taking binoculars to Egypt? It's not a birding break but ideally planned to take Opticron Traveller 8x32 for any birds around the resort. Thanks.
Did you have any problems ? I'm going in August didn't have a problem last time I visited way back in 2006.

I didn't try in the end but there is another thread on here somewhere that has a lot of info on this

I've vistited Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco with bins and scope but never had any issues. My tip: have a bird guide book to hand, point to the book and mime bird-watching. I did that when challenged at another destination( which I can't remember) and I was waved through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back