• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars by "non-binoculars" brands (1 Viewer)

gkamov

Yeah, birds.
Bulgaria
Imagine that a "non-binoculars" brand decides to enter the binoculars market. Which one comes to your mind first? And what would their debut model be like?

BMW.

It would be a very high-performing binocular that costs $5000.00 (U.S.), and breaks down every other time you use it.

Lexus, but it would be a re-badged Nikon MHG with a Premier LX focus wheel and an EDG price.

Cadillac, but it would be a re-badged Leupold McKenzie at a Santiam price.

Apple, who would come up with a beautifully sleek bino that is expensive as an NL but performs very well, has a built-in camera and enough storage for several thousand songs and pictures (but not expandable), and Bluetooth only because they are too good to put an earphone jack in it.

U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, an old and very heavy 7x50 Porro-prism bino that glows in the dark.

Estee Lauder, a compact 30mm bino that is covered in flowery/sparkly things and smells really nice, but doesn’t have any glass.

That’s all I got.....

BMW.

It would be a very high-performing binocular that costs $5000.00 (U.S.), and breaks down every other time you use it.

Lexus, but it would be a re-badged Nikon MHG with a Premier LX focus wheel and an EDG price.

Apple, who would come up with a beautifully sleek bino that is expensive as an NL but performs very well, has a built-in camera and enough storage for several thousand songs and pictures (but not expandable), and Bluetooth only because they are too good to put an earphone jack in it.

U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, an old and very heavy 7x50 Porro-prism bino that glows in the dark.

Estee Lauder, a compact 30mm bino that is covered in flowery/sparkly things and smells really nice, but doesn’t have any glass.

That’s all I got.....

:D

Hakle, builds the first binoculars with 100% transmission ...

Andreas

Google - all binoculars come equipped with WiFi and bluetooth and you can download any number of apps from the Google Apperture store.

Amazon - acquires GPO, keeps the same products, and rebrands as APO.

Twitter - offers free, compact binoculars popular with millennials. First generation binoculars can't see past 140m.

Tesla - comes out with the Powerview (TM), an IS binocular with a proprietary rechargeable battery. Pair with solar and recharge with sunlight to keep your IS powered for days.

Bayer - introduces a binocular with extra strength eye relief (48mm, wow). Warns pregnant women and children younger than 12 years old to not use.

Unfortunately they only take Apple straps, rainguards and objective covers and those selling fitting bags are sued...
They also cannot be repaired due to being glued shut and cannot be opened in a nondestructive way and even if you manage in some way, parts are not available.
Apple themselves will exchange pairs under warranty (sometimes) but not if they got wet... and they do have moisture sensors...

You are also only allowed to watch birds with them, those watching mammals, insects or amphibiae are taken to court...

Joachim

Haven’t we gotten a preview with a Hermès special edition Leica Ultravid? Lipstick applied for an extra 3000 dollars.

The mark of a great company -> the very high end recipe and design is out there and out of patent and nobody attempts to copy it because they still can’t build it at a lower price at a profit. My Rohloff bicycle hub comes to mind.

BMW.

U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, an old and very heavy 7x50 Porro-prism binocular that glows in the dark.

That’s all I got.....
That`s literally the best imagination that I`ve ever heard throughout my whole life!:ROFLMAO:

I think the question is not so far from reality. We see mobile phones with 50x zooms. The next big thing will be VR-glasses in a few years. Not like today's gaming glasses but more like airplane head up display UHD quality. So your binocular capability will be built in in the camera of your device that you carry all the time. You look at some bird and get some augmented reality species label presented in your field of view. You can get internet backgrounders and share it with your friends in real time.

Unfortunately this is why I see the good old pure optical binocular to be going out of business. The good thing is that camera and optical manufacturers will not go out of business but build all this stuff. And optical quality will matter very much. But the big bucks will be made by computer companies and the cell phone networks.

You can see where this is going in a few years when you look at military VR-glasses and networked soldiers.

Unfortunately they only take Apple straps, rainguards and objective covers and those selling fitting bags are sued...
They also cannot be repaired due to being glued shut and cannot be opened in a nondestructive way and even if you manage in some way, parts are not available.
Apple themselves will exchange pairs under warranty (sometimes) but not if they got wet... and they do have moisture sensors...

You are also only allowed to watch birds with them, those watching mammals, insects or amphibiae are taken to court...

Joachim

I was going to say but they come without the possibility to attach a strap, as the strap lugs are an aesthetic blight...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back