• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars discounts: need urgent help deciding (1 Viewer)

gatafrancesca

Hi everyone,

I've been overthinking the possible purchase of a new set of binoculars for a while, so I'm hoping that you might help me out with more opinions.

I own a pair of the discontinued Stokes Talon 10x42, which are supposed to be similar to the Vortex Diamondback, though the optics have recently been improved in those.

They have some issues, like the rubber eyepieces have separated form the metal frame and one of them doesn't stay in the up position. The focusing wheel gets really tight in cold weather and since it goes 1.7 turns from close focus to infinity sometimes I tend to struggle to focus on a distant bird and when I finally do the bird is likely gone.

I would also love to have a sharper and brighter image, since most of my birding is done in woods below forest canopy, but generally speaking, I could just keep these binoculars, I don't have an urgent need to upgrade since money is also issue.

On the other hand, there are a couple of offers right now that I'm considering, since I think that both those binoculars would offer a step-up from mine and at a very attractive price point.

These are the two offers:

Vanguard Endeavor ED 10x42: 249$ at B&H
Eagle Optics Ranger ED 10x42: 349$ at Eagle Optics

Now, I've read practically everything available online regarding both these and other similarly priced models but I still have doubts.

What would you consider to be the best option, taking into account the price and qualities of each of these two binoculars? Do you think it is worth to buy them at their current price point or they wouldn't make such a tremendous difference to justify the expense?

Personally I am attracted by the lower price of the Endeavors. I'm not sure about the focusing wheel since it's supposed to be super fast and smooth, which sounds great but since it's so sensitive I worry about having a hard time trying to fine focus the bird as some people have reported.
The sharpness and brightness are also supposed to be great, but the field of view is a little bit smaller that on the Rangers (340 vs. 348 feet). My Stokes have a great FOV of 345 feet and I need something that somehow matches that, I guess both binoculars would be ok in that department.
There are many complaints about the CA of the Endeavors and at the beginning I dismissed them because of that. But many reviewers mention that this only happens out of the central area of the sweet spot. My binoculars also have lots of CA, but as long as I keep the bird at center, I just can't notice it at all, so maybe it's not that important.

On the other hand as for the Ranger ED, first of all I just like Eagle Optics/Vortex as companies in general because most people here in Mexico use their binoculars and are happy with them. I have never seen a Vanguard product nor had I heard of them until a few weeks ago.
According to what I've read the optics should deliver a sharp and bright image. Some reviews consider the Endeavor to be even sharper, but the Rangers would have less CA and a somewhat wider FOV.
I'm concerned about many users reporting a stiff focusing wheel, which also turns 1 3/4 turns from close to far, which sounds similar to my pair. I honestly don't quite like that, but maybe it helps with fine-tuning the focus. Unfortunatley living in Mexico I have no way to try them and decide what works best for me.
These are also bigger and heavier and since I carry lots of heavy photographic equipment that might be a problem, but it could also help keeping them more steady, since they are 10x.

I would like to hear your opinions, taking ino account the current price point of each of these two models and if you think I could be satisfied with the cheaper Vanguards, spend 100$ more for the Rangers or if you consider that they wouldn't represent such an improvement over my Stokes and I should just keep them and save the little money I have.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Francesca

Discounts !

Vanguard Endeavour ED 10x42 $205.51 after rebate here : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DQG5XC/ref=gbsl_tit_l-1_1562_dc205d11?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=f238Ul9mEeOayaYqsUvgHA0_yxEi3_0_0_0&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=left-new-1&pf_rd_r=1723GV4MA7VJZWY8HDV2&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1596371562 ... select size 10x42

or under $160.00 here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005DQG5XC/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Both with no hassle returns.

No problem with cold weather focus : http://www.vanguardworld.co.uk/index.php/pv/products/keep-challenging-our-products.html

I own a pair of Vanguard Spirit ED 8x42 and yes they do exhibit some CA with backlist subjects but for my purposes (in low light) it's not an issue.

Best wishes,

Thank you for the links, unfortunately the rebates don't apply in my case as I don't live in the US. As for the Amazon warehousedeals, these appear to have some minor cosmetic imperfections, but I think I prefer buying new, as from my location I don't have a chance to return an item in case I don't like it.

gatafrancesca, in your position I would contact the Amazon warehousedeals sellers individually and independently of Amazon (not via Amazon, just look them up on the web).

I would be really surprised if I couldn't find one on the list that would be happy to guarantee the level of service that I was looking for ; afterall these are service companies. Some friendly correspondence with the appropriate guarantees and payment via paypal, 90 bucks to the good.

What is a minor cosmetic imperfection on a new bin compared to the exisiting ones ?

Best wishes

I can't say anything about the two 10x versions you mention, but I can compare the two 8x versions. I currently own the Vanguard too.

The Ranger/Talon is good, but the focus wheel on the one I've used was a bit too stiff, and a bit jerky in movement. It weighs more than I care for, and costs more than it should. Optical performance was good, but not that great when price is considered, and certainly IMO not $100 better than the Endeavor. Actually, I don't consider the Ranger/Talon to be $1 better than the Vanguard.

The Vanguard's view is sharper and brighter. It's FOV is smaller, but even though I would have preferred a wider view, I like the overall view of the Vanguard over the Ranger/Talon. Yes, there is indeed CA when I look at higher angles such as tree branches that are backlit, but in the glassing that is normal for what I do, I do not see CA. I also prefer the size/weight of the Vanguard, and it's focus wheel as well. The focus wheel turns easily, and very quickly too. In a perfect world, the wheel would be just a slight bit slower, but overall it is fine, especially for what you pay.

There are tradeoffs for each, but as a whole I much prefer the Vanguard over the Ranger. The fact that the Endeavor is cheaper makes the purchase decision quite easy for me. IMO, if the Endeavor can be sold for $259, then the Ranger/Talon is over-priced, and by quite a lot.

hth,
Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back