• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for Trekking in Himalayas (1 Viewer)

leonardo_simon

I'm going on a 3 week trekking holiday in the Nepal Himalaya later this year (or once restrictions eased). The trek is pretty strenuous with long days, difficult terrain, high altitude with a group that moves relatively fast. Birding isn't the primary aim but keen to see what I can. The fast moving means less time to look at stuff on the trek but often more time in the afternoon once we have set up camp.

Was wondering people's thoughts about the most appropriate format for binoculars for this kind of trip? Both in terms of weight and also objective (e.g. 8x or 10x)?

I've a pair of 8.5 x 42 that are super but heavy and was thinking about alternatives.
(I've a clear idea of what brand/models I'm interested in so my question is just about weight and objective size).

thanks

There's no single answer to this question, really. You will be birding some of the time in dense forest when lower power might be optimal, and some of the time in open country when higher power might be preferable.
How much weight is an issue is entirely down to you: if it's something that concerns you generally, then it will probably concern you on a trek. If it's not, it probably won't. Obviously, all other things being equal, lighter is better, but I wouldn't buy a new pair of bins just to go trekking.

I've trekked a fair bit in Nepal with 10x40 Zeiss and 8.5x42 Swaros. I didn't have an issue with either.

When you say the group is fairly fast-paced, I would suggest that is unlikely to be the case in Nepal. The treks are typically broken into well-defined stages, and are generally paced to promote acclimatisation to altitude. A lot of these stages are quite short, and most groups are pretty slow, especially as you gain altitude. My advice would be to try and detach yourself from the main group and dawdle so that you can bird at your own pace. You will catch them up at the next stop.

leonardo simon, post 1,
We also did a three week trekking in Nepal and we were very happy with the Swarovski SLC 8x30 and the EL 8x32 (my wife and I both carried binoculars with us and we enjoyed them a lot. We did not take 10x, since sometimes it is rather streneous and in these circumstances a 10x was for us to difficult to handle due to trembling.
Gijs van Ginkel

leonardo simon, post 1,
We also did a three week trekking in Nepal and we were very happy with the Swarovski SLC 8x30 and the EL 8x32 (my wife and I both carried binoculars with us and we enjoyed them a lot. We did not take 10x, since sometimes it is rather streneous and in these circumstances a 10x was for us to difficult to handle due to trembling.
Gijs van Ginkel

Interesting, where did you go? Did you manage to see lots?

We are a group of experienced trekkers/mountaineers doing a trek which is variations around Annapurna avoiding the main circuit. Himalayas not new to us but I've only comparatively recently taken up birding...

Last edited:
I would say the Opticron Traveller. Lightweight with good optics. If they are lost or stolen it won’t be the end of the works as they are quite economical. Make sure to get a pair awhile before your trip as QC isn’t Opticron’s strongest point.

leonardu simon, post 4,
We did the Manaslu trekking, spectacular, sometimes out of breath and a nice challenge going up and down. To have a good view on nature we decided not to take not too heavy binoculars for a steadier view and for the same reason we decided for 8x. Never regretted it.
Gijs van Ginkel

I would say the Opticron Traveller. Lightweight with good optics. If they are lost or stolen it won’t be the end of the works as they are quite economical. Make sure to get a pair awhile before your trip as QC isn’t Opticron’s strongest point.
I'm not sure why you would want to take second rate optics on a trek. You have the opportunity to see some the finest birds in the most amazing scenery on the planet, so surely you want the best optics you can bring? There's no greater risk of losing optics or getting them stolen on a trek than anywhere else, in fact quite possibly a much lower risk than many places birders visit.

I'm not sure why you would want to take second rate optics on a trek. You have the opportunity to see some the finest birds in the most amazing scenery on the planet, so surely you want the best optics you can bring? There's no greater risk of losing optics or getting them stolen on a trek than anywhere else, in fact quite possibly a much lower risk than many places birders visit.
Sure if Swaros are within your budget and you don’t mind them potentially getting damaged

8x30/32 or 10x30/32 would be my choice. I'd take a pair from one of the manufacturers that make reliable binoculars such as Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss since I wouldn't take a spare pair on such a trip.

BTW, my binocular for such trips is the Swarovski Companion CL 10x30 at the moment because it's just about the lightest high-quality pair around. May switch to the Zeiss SF at some stage despite its somewhat higher weight.

Hermann

We are a group of experienced trekkers/mountaineers doing a trek which is variations around Annapurna avoiding the main circuit. Himalayas not new to us but I've only comparatively recently taken up birding...
That sounds really nice! I have done a 5 weeks trek in the Solokhumbu area (link to report posted earlier) but in the Annapurna region I have only done the standard 4 day Poon Hill trek, which is only in the "middle hills". It was very good for birds! You'll love it! Of course you get many more species in the middle hills compared to the really high elevations.

A point of concern though is that you are trekking with a fast, experienced group. If they are not birders, it will be quite difficult to stop and look for things (they will find you very annoying). I have always trekked solo so that was never an issue for me. But yes, you can bird a bit around the lodges after you arrive (if you have the energy). I have seen tons of birds around the lodges too.

I carried my 8.5x42 Swaro all the way and didn't find it a burden at all.

Enjoy your trek! It's some of the best scenery in the world :)

You are spending a lot of time, effort, money for this trip;
maybe a once in a lifetime event
a high quality optic may make the difference between seeing and not seeing clearly

edj
I had the same consideration 10 years ago. I had just bought my 8.5x42 Swaro, which had cost me an arm and a leg. I was planning a 2 month backpacking trip to Sri Lanka and India. First, my plan was to bring my old (£300) binoculars, because I was scared something could happen to my Swaro. But then I thought: what is the point of getting top class binoculars if I'm not going to use it to see all these great exotic birds?! So I decided to take the "risk" and brought the Swaro.

Since then, it's been with me everywhere. I do lots of trekking and camping in the wild and my beloved Swaro is always with me. It feels ridiculous now that I have ever considered leaving it at home, with all the pleasure that it has given me over the years! I have carried it for 8551 km worth of trekking if only counting the adventures that were 5 days or longer and thousands of kilometres more when counting shorter adventures and day hikes.

My main fear is always that I get robbed or that it gets stolen, but that is much more likely to happen in or near cities than on actual treks.

I had the same consideration 10 years ago. I had just bought my 8.5x42 Swaro, which had cost me an arm and a leg. I was planning a 2 month backpacking trip to Sri Lanka and India. First, my plan was to bring my old (£300) binoculars, because I was scared something could happen to my Swaro. But then I thought: what is the point of getting top class binoculars if I'm not going to use it to see all these great exotic birds?! So I decided to take the "risk" and brought the Swaro.

Since then, it's been with me everywhere. I do lots of trekking and camping in the wild and my beloved Swaro is always with me. It feels ridiculous now that I have ever considered leaving it at home, with all the pleasure that it has given me over the years! I have carried it for 8551 km worth of trekking if only counting the adventures that were 5 days or longer and thousands of kilometres more when counting shorter adventures and day hikes.

My main fear is always that I get robbed or that it gets stolen, but that is much more likely to happen in or near cities than on actual treks.
Thanks Yushan and everyone for all your thoughts.

To be honest I do find my big binoculars a bit heavy for trekking but I'm super impressed with your treks and that you've not been troubled by the weight. Perhaps you're younger and stronger than me!. My big bins are so wonderful for pure birding trips! But this is something quite different.

We'll be above 3000metres for 17 out of the 21 days and , 8 of them around or above 4000metres. So lots of huffing and puffing.

Last edited:
We'll be above 3000metres for 17 out of the 21 days and , 8 of them around or above 4000metres. So lots of huffing and puffing.
I know what you are talking about . I've added the elevation profile to my previous post with the map. Make sure you take your time to acclimatise properly, or you are not going to enjoy it :)

Regarding the binoculars, an EL 8.5x42 weighs 835 grams. Yes it is heavy(ish), but an EL 8x32 still weighs 595 grams, so you save only 240 grams, which is the same as a few sips of water in your water bottle. I know, it's hanging around your neck so it can feel like a big difference. If you have the extra cash, it will be brilliant binoculars for trekking. But for myself, 240 grams weight saving wouldn't justify the expense. Or I should sell my 8.5x42, but that will never happen. :)

This will be of no practical help, but I remember reading (pre-internet), that the binoculars used by the 1953 Everest expedition were the Habicht 10x40s (named the "Diana" model). Being gas purged and waterproof, they may have been the best available at the time. I used to own a pair purchased in 1990 which I thought were wonderful. They were totally outclassed by the Swarovski EL SV 10x42 of course, and indeed by the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HDs.

I've searched to see if the Habichts really were used Hillary et al, and nothing to verify it, but am pretty sure my memory is correct.

Hi Yushan - other thought (wonder if you've tried or anyone else) is to use a harness? Not sure how it would work with rucsacs, needing to change layers regularly, duvet jackets etc?

Our ascent profile is below in case you're interested. Yes a bit of sickness likely at the first ascent (although most of the party acclimatise well, that's why we keep going)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-13 at 13.41.48.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-13 at 13.41.48.png
    583.6 KB · Views: 8
This will be of no practical help, but I remember reading (pre-internet), that the binoculars used by the 1953 Everest expedition were the Habicht 10x40s (named the "Diana" model). Being gas purged and waterproof, they may have been the best available at the time. I used to own a pair purchased in 1990 which I thought were wonderful. They were totally outclassed by the Swarovski EL SV 10x42 of course, and indeed by the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HDs.

I've searched to see if the Habichts really were used Hillary et al, and nothing to verify it, but am pretty sure my memory is correct.
That sounds like an interesting history project for someone

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back