• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for Trekking in Himalayas (1 Viewer)

No offence, but this is baseless fear-mongering. The risk to local villagers who live in the terai adjacent to national parks like Chitwan and Bardia and routinely cut elephant grass bears no resemblance to risks to trekkers in the Himalayas. The risk of fatality from driving in Nepal, from AMS and even from getting knocked off the trail by a mule is orders if magnitude higher than the risk of being attacked by a predator in the mountains.
Of course, the risk is lower than taking driving your car too if we follow that type of logic.

But I refuse to consider "Baseless Fear-mongering" when ACAP, local wildlife guides and biologists are warning people not to go in the forests at those times, even on trek itineraries.
They are living there, and know better than us.
Leopards are found on many classical trek itineraries, and that's not baseless fear-mongering, but just facts.

I just wanted to let people know about that particular risk at sunrise and sunset,
because it's easy to transfer an habit from one country to another without knowing the risks involved.

Of course, the risk is lower than taking driving your car too if we follow that type of logic.

But I refuse to consider "Baseless Fear-mongering" when ACAP, local wildlife guides and biologists are warning people not to go in the forests at those times, even on trek itineraries.
Leopards are found on many classical trek itineraries, and that's not baseless fear-mongering, but just facts.

I just wanted to let people know about that particular risk at sunrise and sunset,
because it's easy to transfer an habit from one country to another without knowing the risks involved.
Leopards, really! That could be hazardous.

It absolutely is baseless fear mongering. I, along with hundreds of other birders over the years, have birded in Himalyan forests at dawn and dusk, and even at night, without incident.

@DMW I Agree - Tigers won't be issue for trekking in the Himalayas, but its useful information nevertheless.
Chitwan reasonably close to Kathmandhu and relatively straightforward for a side trip before/after trekking.
Chitwan has always been a somewhat risky place to bird on foot, primarily due to the high density of rhinos, and to a lesser extent Sloth Bears.

Chitwan has always been a somewhat risky place to bird on foot, primarily due to the high density of rhinos, and to a lesser extent Sloth Bears.
Thanks! Really useful -- I didn't know any of this stuff before hand. Generally I just head for the high places.

That is pretty high. Do you condition yourself for high altitudes before the trek to get your system used to it?

I try and get fit before going trekking what ever the altitude. But being fit on its own doesn't protect you against mountain sickness (although the better shape you are in the easier it is to get out of a difficult situation)

The key to not getting mountain sickness is careful aclimatization. So general rule of thumb is once you're above 2500 metres, only to raise your sleeping altitude by 300 metres per night. Climbing high and sleeping low is a good way to acclimatize faster. Some people acclimatise better than others and the above rule of thumb is relatively conservative.

In Chitwan a guide is mandatory, partly because there is real danger from the wildlife. I asked my guide (actually about the only time I birded with a guide now that I think about it) what animal he feared the most. I expected him to say "tiger", but that came only third. He feared the sloth bear the most, because they are unpredictable. The second is the Rhino. They can charge you, but they are more predictable. Tigers will be hiding just metres away from you, but are unlikely to attack you.

Chitwan3.JPG
My foot next to a fresh tiger footprint

Chitwan4.JPG
Tigers hiding here

Chitwan5.JPG
And Rhinos too :)

Chitwan is wonderful. Don't skip it when you have time!

When trekking in the mountains, risk from wildlife attacks is negligible. You would be incredibly lucky to see a cat.

Last edited:
In Chitwan a guide is mandatory, partly because there is real danger from the wildlife. I asked my guide (actually about the only time I birded with a guide now that I think about it) what animal he feared the most. I expected him to say "tiger", but that came only third. He feared the sloth bear the most, because they are unpredictable. The second is the Rhino. They can charge you, but they are more predictable. Tigers will be hiding just metres away from you, but are unlikely to attack you.

View attachment 1375994

View attachment 1375995
Tigers hiding here

View attachment 1375996

When trekking in the mountains, risk from wildlife attacks is negligible. You would be incredibly lucky to see a cat.
I remember going on evening walks with my ex-wife and a bird guide at Chitwan once in the late 80s. My ex was the sort of person who got really nervous on a footpath through a field of cows, yet somehow allowed herself to be persuaded to walk through a field of elephant grass containing a rhino in order to reach a viewing platform. We also had a fairly close-up view of a sloth bear that same evening...we obviously had a lot of faith in our guide! Fortunately the time we witnessed an altercation between two male rhinos charging a few metres past us we were safely ensconced on the back of an elephant.
I never heard then with any issues around wildlife attacks in the mountains, and we did do a couple of treks with significant areas of remaining forest, such as Langtang Valley and the Ghorepani area of the Annapurna circuit.

View attachment 1375994

View attachment 1375995
Tigers hiding here

View attachment 1375996

Exactly. There are Mountain Lions in our mountains also, but you rarely see them. They are very shy.

Exactly. There are Mountain Lions in our mountains also, but you rarely see them. They are very shy.
I was eye to eye with one in Suriname, while birding on my own in a forest there. It was barking/screaming (or whatever sound it is) to me but after a 10 second standoff it ran away. I also heard one near my tent while wild camping on my own in a wilderness area in Northern California.

What species did you see?
This was not a birding-only trip and at the time I wasn't all too serious yet with listing, so I only recorded every species once for the entire trip (starting in Varanasi and travelled through Nepal and Darjeeling area to Bangladesh). On this trip I saw 256 birds (that I could identify). The location in the file is the first place where I saw it. Do I not have separate lists for separate locations as I would do today.

And now that I'm posting lists anyway, I have also attached the list of my second visit to Nepal, which was only trekking. I do also have a report of that one:

Attachments

• Report2013.pdf
    322.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SoloKhumbuTrek2014.pdf
    284.7 KB · Views: 6

View attachment 1375994

View attachment 1375995
Tigers hiding here

View attachment 1375996

Brings back memories !
My tiger encounter was even closer.
Have never been so scared (well apart from the leopard on the roof !) as several hours walking back through the forest and 10ft+ high grass. Note to self: don't ever put yourself in the position of being a prey animal again ! 😲

Chosun 🙆

I'm going on a 3 week trekking holiday in the Nepal Himalaya later this year (or once restrictions eased). The trek is pretty strenuous with long days, difficult terrain, high altitude with a group that moves relatively fast. Birding isn't the primary aim but keen to see what I can. The fast moving means less time to look at stuff on the trek but often more time in the afternoon once we have set up camp.

Was wondering people's thoughts about the most appropriate format for binoculars for this kind of trip? Both in terms of weight and also objective (e.g. 8x or 10x)?

I've a pair of 8.5 x 42 that are super but heavy and was thinking about alternatives.
(I've a clear idea of what brand/models I'm interested in so my question is just about weight and objective size).

thanks
I would take the Swarovski new 8x30 Companion - even then I would rig it up on a chest harness (or your backpack straps somehow). At a pinch, if you really needed more light grasp, then the Swarovski 8x32 SV is as heavy as I would go. You could even make a case for an 8x25 (but I wouldn't go smaller than that).

Use the weight savings over a full size bin, to carry extra water.

This will save you cutting a limb off halfway in desperation to shed weight after the tootbrush has been cut in half ! Make sure to take hydralite powder too.

It's a beautiful place - take your time 😊

Chosun 🙅

I agree fully with those who recommend bringing top quality optics if you can afford it. Why not have the best for what may be a once in a lifetime experience?

And as aptly noted above the concern about theft/damage on a trip like this is being overblown by some. Just don’t be dumb and leave your binoculars sitting around unattended, no different than any other valuable items while traveling anywhere (or even when not traveling, frankly).

So back to practical suggestions.... I think there are two main options:

Option 1: take a premium, fairly light 8x32. Leica Ultravid, Kowa Genesis, Swaro SV, whatever 500-600g flavor suits you. Wear it out the entire time (neck strap, harness, some kind of clip lock option on the backpack strap like Cotton Carrier or Peak Design, etc). Your premium optic is always at the ready but still light enough to not be a major bother.

Option 2: get a premium compact (Zeiss VP 8x25, Swaro CL 8x25, or to minimize size/weight the Ultravid 8x20) and carry it in a pouch (either affixed to the backpack strap or a belt loop) while you are hiking. This will allow for “emergency views” if you need to check something out while trekking, without having a big pair of binoculars bouncing around on a neck strap or obstructing in a harness. Carry a larger pair of your choice in the pack, pull it out for those slow afternoons when you can wander around the campsite birding.

Personally I would do option 2 on a serious trek; chances are while you are trekking you won’t be doing that much birding, just occasional looks which a premium compact will be perfectly adequate for. Worst case scenario (or if there’s a section where you think you’ll be birding more) you switch to the bigger bins for trekking and you’ve got a measly 200-300g extra stuffed in the pack.

I like this advice.

Option 1 is what I've almost always done for travel in the past, first with a Leica 8x32 and later the Zeiss 8x32 FL. Having one do-all bin spares a lot of fiddling, second-guessing what to have out, and is more compact and lower weight overall.

Option 2 makes more sense if you can manage packing/carrying the bigger bin for dedicated birding. In the past, my compact bin was a Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL. It worked nicely for casual use but left enough to be desired for real birding that the big bin in the bag was always appreciated when deployed. The problem these days is that my compact bin is a Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. It is so good, going to the big bin isn't as big a step up when it comes to making IDs, which makes me less likely to use it, which makes me question whether I should even have packed it, even though it offers an easier and higher quality view.

Indeed, like the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket so much (in most situations, I find that it has an "easier view" than my Zeiss 8x32 FL) that I am now tempted to try Option 3, which is to say to dare taking it as my only travel bin, even on trips with much dedicated birding. At this point, I've taken it on several trips that included only casual birding, or dedicated birding in less demanding situations, and I've been entirely satisfied, so I'm working up the courage.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back