• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for Trekking in Himalayas (1 Viewer)

I would also recommend something light and compact if you worry about your physical constitution but I would also get the best quality optics you can afford. But this also depends on if you are carrying everything yourself or if you hired a porter. If you only have to carry the things you need during the day it shouldn't be an issue to carry binos which are a bit on the heavier side. If you go with heavier ones my recommendation would be to test if a harness will work for you. When climbing step slopes you will tend to lean forward which will increase the force pulling on your neck if you use a regular strap, a harness would help to prevent this. Also to state the obvious: for a lot of people the use of trekking poles can help a lot when trekking in the mountains especially when carrying a backpack.

If you can afford Swaro 8x32s and don’t mind perhaps having them lost, stolen or damaged Of Course bring those

Something tough and compact. Leica 8x32 BNs come to mind. Tape over the Leica badge with black tape.

I don't get why people are implying the chance to have your binoculars lost, stolen or damaged would be higher in Nepal than on your local birding trips. The chance that you will lose or damage them is the same over there as at home. Regarding theft (or even robbery which could be implied in the comment about taping over the Leica badge) I think there are a lot other birding destinations where this would be more of an issue. If you leave your bins unattended they might get stolen as they might everywhere else on the planet and the chance to get robbed on a trek is lower than in nearly every major western city. There are some risks to traveling in Nepal but theft and robbery would rank pretty low on my risk scale (far behind traffic/road conditions, mountain sickness and diarrhea).
On a side note: From my experiences in Nepal (which echos what I heard from other people spending time there) if something gets stolen during a stay at teahouse or lodge most likely it has been stolen by some other trekker.

I agree fully with those who recommend bringing top quality optics if you can afford it. Why not have the best for what may be a once in a lifetime experience?

And as aptly noted above the concern about theft/damage on a trip like this is being overblown by some. Just don’t be dumb and leave your binoculars sitting around unattended, no different than any other valuable items while traveling anywhere (or even when not traveling, frankly).

So back to practical suggestions.... I think there are two main options:

Option 1: take a premium, fairly light 8x32. Leica Ultravid, Kowa Genesis, Swaro SV, whatever 500-600g flavor suits you. Wear it out the entire time (neck strap, harness, some kind of clip lock option on the backpack strap like Cotton Carrier or Peak Design, etc). Your premium optic is always at the ready but still light enough to not be a major bother.

Option 2: get a premium compact (Zeiss VP 8x25, Swaro CL 8x25, or to minimize size/weight the Ultravid 8x20) and carry it in a pouch (either affixed to the backpack strap or a belt loop) while you are hiking. This will allow for “emergency views” if you need to check something out while trekking, without having a big pair of binoculars bouncing around on a neck strap or obstructing in a harness. Carry a larger pair of your choice in the pack, pull it out for those slow afternoons when you can wander around the campsite birding.

Personally I would do option 2 on a serious trek; chances are while you are trekking you won’t be doing that much birding, just occasional looks which a premium compact will be perfectly adequate for. Worst case scenario (or if there’s a section where you think you’ll be birding more) you switch to the bigger bins for trekking and you’ve got a measly 200-300g extra stuffed in the pack.

I agree fully with those who recommend bringing top quality optics if you can afford it. Why not have the best for what may be a once in a lifetime experience?

And as aptly noted above the concern about theft/damage on a trip like this is being overblown by some. Just don’t be dumb and leave your binoculars sitting around unattended, no different than any other valuable items while traveling anywhere (or even when not traveling, frankly).

So back to practical suggestions.... I think there are two main options:

Option 1: take a premium, fairly light 8x32. Leica Ultravid, Kowa Genesis, Swaro SV, whatever 500-600g flavor suits you. Wear it out the entire time (neck strap, harness, some kind of clip lock option on the backpack strap like Cotton Carrier or Peak Design, etc). Your premium optic is always at the ready but still light enough to not be a major bother.

Option 2: get a premium compact (Zeiss VP 8x25, Swaro CL 8x25, or to minimize size/weight the Ultravid 8x20) and carry it in a pouch (either affixed to the backpack strap or a belt loop) while you are hiking. This will allow for “emergency views” if you need to check something out while trekking, without having a big pair of binoculars bouncing around on a neck strap or obstructing in a harness. Carry a larger pair of your choice in the pack, pull it out for those slow afternoons when you can wander around the campsite birding.

Personally I would do option 2 on a serious trek; chances are while you are trekking you won’t be doing that much birding, just occasional looks which a premium compact will be perfectly adequate for. Worst case scenario (or if there’s a section where you think you’ll be birding more) you switch to the bigger bins for trekking and you’ve got a measly 200-300g extra stuffed in the pack.

That, actually, is a very good idea.

There's no single answer to this question, really. You will be birding some of the time in dense forest when lower power might be optimal, and some of the time in open country when higher power might be preferable.
How much weight is an issue is entirely down to you: if it's something that concerns you generally, then it will probably concern you on a trek. If it's not, it probably won't. Obviously, all other things being equal, lighter is better, but I wouldn't buy a new pair of bins just to go trekking.

I've trekked a fair bit in Nepal with 10x40 Zeiss and 8.5x42 Swaros. I didn't have an issue with either.

When you say the group is fairly fast-paced, I would suggest that is unlikely to be the case in Nepal. The treks are typically broken into well-defined stages, and are generally paced to promote acclimatisation to altitude. A lot of these stages are quite short, and most groups are pretty slow, especially as you gain altitude. My advice would be to try and detach yourself from the main group and dawdle so that you can bird at your own pace. You will catch them up at the next stop.
We did 300km at birding pace with a daily average of 10-12km, depends where you are but it's unlikely to be fast paced as you say, apart from the altitute, there is very little, even ground, it's either steep up or steep down!

I'd actually do BOTH. I'd take a small and light 8x30/8x32 (or 10x30/10x32) and a small compact as a backup in my backpack, something like the Leica 8x20. Just in case something happens to my main pair.

But that's just me. I always want to be on the safe side.

It's amazing how much advice this thread has generated for a simple request, and I think different suggestions reflect different impressions of what trekking involves. I'm a keen birder who has trekked all over the Himalayas, generally alone and carrying my own backpack, and have never considered trekking to be any different from birding elsewhere. In other words, I want my regular full-size binoculars around my neck 100% of the time I am in the field. There's no way I want cheap binoculars, compact binoculars, or binoculars in a pouch around my waist. That male tragopan isn't going to pose for you while you fumble around trying to get your bins out.

Now if seeing birds is not a priority, and you are happy with incidental observations but want mainly to focus on other things, then by all means, compromise on size, weight etc.

Regarding the need for gloves, I rarely need gloves while trekking except in winter at altitude and in the shade.

other thought (wonder if you've tried or anyone else) is to use a harness? Not sure how it would work with rucsacs, needing to change layers regularly, duvet jackets etc?

I'm used to go to Nepal (started to loose the count of my trips) and was even there last month.

The first time I brought Binos with me trekking, it was a 10x50 pair, that I had in my pack the 1st day. I quickly switched to having them around my neck and arm, to spread the weight, and changing side during the day.

I now use 15x56, so a 1200g cute brick!
I use a Condor chest rig Harness, and a molle pouch big enough for them (handy if it starts to rain).

You talked about the issue of changing clothes, and the chest rig helps not too actually. I used a thin Merino base layer and the chest rig on top of it 90% of the time, because the chest rig act as a windproof barrier.
If it's too hot, I wear the chest rig looser, to avoid overheating.
The straps of the harness are flat, so don't actually interfere with the Backpack ones.
It won't interfere with your duvet jacket, because you shouldn't walk with your down jacket and your backpack anyway (your down jacket will get soaked wet with sweat, and will stay wet and loose its isolating power for the rest of your trip).
You're generating a lot of heat while walking (especially if the pace is fast because of your mates, but you should always walk at your own pace really) so if it's really cold in altitude (above 3000m), Merino layers or fleece and a windproof jacket is enough. Keep your down jacket for cold evenings and morning and breaks.

Regarding the Binos format, the advice I could give you is to bring the Binos you like most (32 or 42), and carry them around your neck and shoulder or through a pouch on your belt.
They are light enough, and you will have them ready whatever pops up.

This way, you avoid as well having a chest rig, which can be a bad thing if you fall forward (Hello broken ribs (and Binos) ... That hurts!)

Under around 3500m, you will be in fields and forests, so you will have plenty to watch (if you have time).
Above that altitude, there will be a lot less to watch, some steppe eagles, different type of vultures, and the Mountains mainly.

For Nepal, I would say 10x is nice, because it works for Birdwatching and everything else (Mountain scenery).
If you're used using 10x birdwatching of course, because learning to locate birds with a new higher magnification can be frustrating.

A couple of additional advices:

- Do NOT go birdwatching at sunrise and sunset, especially in a forest.

- Last month, I've met the Bird Conservation Nepal's Team (I'm going to write a trip report about it next week hopefully).
They are part of Birdlife International
They are super nice and dedicated people, and if you need informations, they will help you.
Their office is in Lazimpat area, a 10-15mn walk from Thamel.
Highly recommended.

If your trek is leaving you frustrated Birdwatching wise, back in Kathmandu, there are several spots in the Kathmandu Valley. I'll give them in my report.

Hope it helps.

Rob

Last edited:
Do NOT go birdwatching at sunrise and sunset, especially in a forest.
Just for my understanding (and to make sure I didn't do anything too stupid when I was in Nepal): is this recommended also in the mountains? I only thought about this for the lowlands. As far as I know there no tigers in the mountains and snow leopards are not known to attack humans (and too rare to be a risk which needs to be considered).

Edit: Just researched for tigers in the mountains and found this article: Tiger sighted at a record altitude of 2,500 metres

Just for my understanding (and to make sure I didn't do anything too stupid when I was in Nepal): is this recommended also in the mountains? I only thought about this for the lowlands. As far as I know there no tigers in the mountains and snow leopards are not known to attack humans (and too rare to be a risk which needs to be considered).

Edit: Just researched for tigers in the mountains and found this article: Tiger sighted at a record altitude of 2,500 metres
Hi David,

It is recommended in the Mountains too, as you get forest until 3000-3500m.

Snow leopards are not really an issue, as they are "shy" and live above 4500m.

But at forest level, in altitude, you still have leopards, and believe me to have seen real footage from my zoologist friend (@JackKinross), they are so fast that you won't see them comming (and they can fall from a tree too).

The Big cats are stressed out because human interference, lost of habitat so lack of preys etc.
And all the Biologists / Zoologists / Research Officers I talked too all agree: Sunset, night and sunrise should be left for wildlife to live peacefully.
If anyone disturb a predator, s-(he) won't get another chance to do so...
(There are enough birds to watch during the day anyway really).

To give an insight, the Human fatality toll due to big cats in the Bardiya/ Banke/ Kayarniaghat area since 2019 has just reached 30 (including kids). And people were warned of the risks...

The Nepali Bird Research Officer I talked to does not go out at sunset and sunrise. During the day, he does not go further than 100m away from the forest edge in a forest he does not know.

I hope it gives a clearer picture.

Last edited:
No offence, but this is baseless fear-mongering. The risk to local villagers who live in the terai adjacent to national parks like Chitwan and Bardia and routinely cut elephant grass bears no resemblance to risks to trekkers in the Himalayas. The risk of fatality from driving in Nepal, from AMS and even from getting knocked off the trail by a mule is orders if magnitude higher than the risk of being attacked by a predator in the mountains.

So perhaps this thread belongs in the treks in the Himalayas section, or after all the lengthy potential selections of glass suggested, ones mind is still not made up yet?

No offence, but this is baseless fear-mongering. The risk to local villagers who live in the terai adjacent to national parks like Chitwan and Bardia and routinely cut elephant grass bears no resemblance to risks to trekkers in the Himalayas. The risk of fatality from driving in Nepal, from AMS and even from getting knocked off the trail by a mule is orders if magnitude higher than the risk of being attacked by a predator in the mountains.

@DMW I Agree - Tigers won't be issue for trekking in the Himalayas, but its useful information nevertheless.
Chitwan reasonably close to Kathmandhu and relatively straightforward for a side trip before/after trekking.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back