• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

    Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars - short names, abbreviations (1 Viewer)


Experienced observer
United States
How many different short names have you heard describing

I have a start: bins, binos, and I heard a new one last week,
nockers. I had not heard of that one, came from a Biologist
specializing in birds.

Good point. Now I suppose we should compare a binocular to a monocular.

What is the difference, this is not a science lesson?

Bristol city's rhyms with t......

British rhyming slang. Widely used instead of nockers.
You don't want to use the term nockers in the U.K.

But spelt knockers more commonly.
Last edited:
I do not understand why a binocular is referred to as a pair of binoculars, nor as binoculars referring to one binocular.

A bicycle is a bicycle. I have never heard of a pair of bicycles in a similar context.
I do not understand why a binocular is referred to as a pair of binoculars, nor as binoculars referring to one binocular.

A bicycle is a bicycle. I have never heard of a pair of bicycles in a similar context.
English, she is always logical?
Sally Salter, she was a young teacher who taught,
And her friend, Charley Church, was a preacher who praught;
Though his enemies called him a screecher who scraught.

His heart, when he saw her, kept sinking, and sunk;
And his eye, meeting hers, began winking, and wunk;
While she in her turn, fell to thinking, and thunk.

In secret he wanted to speak, and he spoke,
To seek with his lips what his heart long had soke,
So he managed to let the truth leak, and it loke.

The kiss he was dying to steal, then he stole;
At the feet where he wanted to kneel, then he knole;
And he said, "I feel better than ever I fole."

Binastro said "But then people talk about a pair of trousers"

In the 1600s the word was trouse!
Dont get me on to knickers ��
Isn't a 'pair of binoculars' a tautology?

'Bi' means two, so with binoculars (especially if pronounced 'bye-noculars') we already have 2 oculars. Calling them a 'pair of 2 oculars' is repetitive overkill isn't it?

But the English language is awash with weirdness. Take the phrase that we use in Britain: 'I couldn't care less'. Meaning the extent to which one cares about something couldn't be any less, it is a low as it can possibly get. In the USA the phrase is 'I could care less', which suggests that the extent to which one cares is not yet at rock bottom, but actually the meaning when using the phrase in the States is the same as in Britain.

Going back to Jerry's question I have only 'heard' binos and bins, although on Bird Forum, one can indeed bump into 'glass' being used in occasional posts. Mind you I have just remembered I have very occasionally heard someone say they 'glassed' a bird, so it can be used as a verb too.

"Glassing" is a term I used to only see used on the hunting sites and forums when reading their bino reviews; examples such as "I was glassing the hills...", etc.

Then I started seeing "glassing" used by members here occasionally and I would always guess they were hunters or hunter/birders and I was right practically every time, as invariably they would mention hunting at some point in another post. Also, mentioning looking for a 10x or using a 10x as primary bino can be a giveaway (only sometimes, not always).

I don't think many birders use the term "glassing", but perhaps we are picking up and swapping terminology now that we are a mixed crowd here on BF. A while back I read an old user review of some bin on a hunting forum and one of the guys mentioned BF is a great place for optics talk and he said that the members/birders there call binoculars "bins" and he sort of thought that was interesting/amusing. "Bins" is a term I've always heard from birders. I think the terminology is now being shared more, as we engage more in discussion on forums.

I use the terms Bin and Bino (or Bins and Binos) mainly.
'Breviatin' things is wot we do 'round 'ere ...... The shorter the better! :king:

Binoculars are commonly known as bino's, 'noculars, 'eyes' or bins. :t:

The term 'glassed' is not desirable at all and is probably used more in reference to idiot binge drinking teenagers assaulting either other idiot binge drinkers or completely innocent bystanders! with empty schooner glasses. :eek!:

Chosun :gh:
It never ceases to amaze me to see the lengths to which people will go to avoid using a perfectly good English word.

(and sound not too bright in the process)
Binoculars are a pair of identical telescopic tubes mounted side by side.

A monocular is a single telescope.

Another common reference is "field glasses".

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread