• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars useful for a sailboat trip? (1 Viewer)

Microtus

Maryland USA (he/him)
United States
An acquaintance of mine is going to be sailing across the North Atlantic later this spring. He was wondering about good rugged binoculars, with a range about two miles, that he can use on his sailboat. Would anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited:
I know there are specific nautical binoculars available in sailing shops, but I've never seen through a pair and don't know how they differ from ordinary bins. My brother sails and uses a simple pair of Olympus 10x50 bins that cost him 100 euro, perfectly adequate for the task (he's not a birder). A lot of sailing folk use IS (Image Stablisation) bins, 'cos obviously the boat moves up and down. Canon make the cheapest ones, but only one model is waterproof, the 10x42 IS "L-series". Amazing optics, but strange in the hand, quite large and heavy. I have the Canon 12x36 IS version, it's not waterproof but it is rainproof (well, showerproof), fine as long as you don't drop it in the water. The IS feature is really amazing, steadies an image wonderfully to eliminate hand-shake and presumably sea-swell. The 12x36 cost about 700 euro. The waterproof 10x42 are more expensive, I think about 1200.

Hi Rob. No specific recommendations, but I did a search on Google looking for the words "boating" and "binoculars" and came up with a lot of useful stuff, including this page of recommendations:

http://www.just-binoculars.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=BOATING

It looks as though there are a lot of ways to go. 7 x 50 seems like a popular configuration, because that will give you a large exit pupil and make it easier to stay on target when the boat is rocking. And a relatively low magnification will minimize the adverse effects of motion.

There also appear to be several binoculars specifically designed to float in the water, and some that claim to be resistant to fogging up.

And then there are also various image stabilized binoculars, which come in a wide variety of price ranges, and should theoretically enable you to see better at greater distances despite the rocking motion of a boat. But I think these often require batteries, and not all are waterproof.

You might also want to specify what your friends price range might be, what specifically he is going to be using the binoculars for, and whether he wears glasses.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Canon IS seems like the winning ticket...

Bring spare AA batteries or NiMH rechargeable cells...

Rob,

Even with image stabilisation, a 12x36 has an exit pupil of 3 mm.; while a 10x42 has an exit pupil of 4.2 mm. A 7x42 has a 6 mm. exit pupil, which is probably advantageous for night work, and there is no problem with batteries. Should your friend chose a Porro binocular, it should be individual focus, as they are more waterproof than any center focus Porro glass. Do batteries keep well on board a sailboat?
Incidentally, the traditional marine binocular is a 7x50, but modern 7x42's are as bright as the 7x50's of thirty years, ago, but the 7x50's still have a larger exit pupil, making it easier to keep the glass trained on target from a moving deck.

Buon voyage to your friend,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hi Rob, IMHO the most practical size for most boating activities is still 7x50. In that size the Fujinon Polaris series can be obtained with or without a built-in compass. It is a heavy (1.4Kilos), relatively expensive, waterproof, rugged design with (nearly) flat field, long eye relief and very bright image. That company also makes a lighter version, also available with a built-in compass called the Oceanic CX, it lacks some of the best features of the Polaris, but is much more economical. I own both, and while my sailing is MUCH less ambitious than your friends, I find either of them most satisfactory. That said, there are a lot of other waterproof 7x50's on the market that would do a good job, I'm sure.
I have no connection with the Fujinon company other than that of a satisfied customer!
Regards, John

Last edited:
I recently got to try a Nikon marine binocular that an individual was using for wildlife observation. It was 7x50, felt very solid. If you can view through Nikon Action EX you will have an idea as to the optical performance not bad but not great! Porro's or roof's in any configuration below 10x will work, 8x50,8x43,8x42,8x40,7x50 etc... Just make sure it is water-proof. Traditionaly porro's were used and the ones still designed today Fuji,Nikon and the like are built like a tank, though I would opt for a better built roof prism! Stereo...

Check this website.
http://www.captainsnautical.com/ Be sure to read Bill Cook's article there: http://www.captainsnautical.com/product.asp?Product_Id=47706

They should be water proof, and have a large exit pupil. 7 x 42 is a good format.

Calm Seas!

Bob

BTW, Bill Cook KNOWS binoculars! He's a retired US Navy Chief Opticalman and posts often on this forum and the Binocular forum of "Cloudy Nights."

Hi Bob I agree with all you say about this and on this site there is this model http://www.captainsnautical.com/product.asp?Product_Id=47707 not real pretty but from reports of people that have them they like this binocular. There is also a review for these on CN and here it is: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1633
Regards,Steve

Last edited:
I don't wish to be a wet blanket, but the fact that your friend needs to ask the question causes me to wonder whether he is sufficiently experienced to be attempting a transatlantic crossing. (Unless he has seriously experienced people on board with him).

My advice is to go for CHEAP 7x50. They will suffer salt water splashes, possible immersion and possibly being dropped overboard, none of which is much fun when they cost a lot of money.

You can get cheap "sailing binoculars" (often made in China), sealed, Nitrogen purged (to eliminate condensation & fogging), yellow (so that you can see them in the water) with a flotation strap (so you have some chance of getting them back if you drop them in the water) and a built in compass (for taking bearings). These would be my best recommendation.

I also have a tiny pair of 6x18 Nikula waterproof Nitrogen purged binoculars (also yellow with a flotation strap) which are very handy for immediate use.

It is close to impossible to properly waterproof binoculars that have central focussing so it is better to go for individual eye piece focussing.

Last edited:
I think in a journey of this magnitude, I would want something better quality..

Maybe a cheap, compact backup?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back