• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bin's $300-500 range (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Looking for a pair of backup bins to have to observe backyard birds and to carry in car for those moments i don't have my regular bin's. Currently using older Nikon Monarch (lower end) that are 10 years old and falling apart.
Looking for 8x42.
Am an eyeglass wearer.
was looking at
Vanguard 8x42 endeavor edii
Meopta MeoPro 8x42 HD
Minox 8x42 x lite

Any other suggestions just starting my search

At the $500 price point I think I would get Vortex Viper HD 8x42. A very good value and a great unconditional warranty. Here is a new open box one for $439 on sale at B&H. The Nikon M7 8x42 is close optically, but Nikon doesn't have as good of warranty or support as Vortex.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular with 22mm of eye relief on sale for only $299.99
  • E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Take a look at the Athlon Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular with 22mm of eye relief on sale for only $299.99
  • E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability
Here is a good review on the Athlon Cronus 8.5x42. It is a pretty good binocular for the price point, but I still prefer the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 for its 24 oz. weight versus the 33 oz. for the Cronus which is ridiculously heavy for a 42 mm and many say the Cronus is not that bright because of small prisms, and I like the warranty and customer support on the Vortex much better. If you drop your binocular in a river or off a cliff by accident they will send you a new one in a couple of days.

"Dim compared to others in same class. Big and heavy."

"The apparent brightness of the image in the Cronus is average because of the warm hint, small prisms used (looks similar to prisms size in the Conquest HD 10x32) and 100% vignetting of the edges of the field of view."

Last edited:
Looking for a pair of backup bins to have to observe backyard birds and to carry in car for those moments i don't have my regular bin's. Currently using older Nikon Monarch (lower end) that are 10 years old and falling apart.
Looking for 8x42.
Am an eyeglass wearer.
was looking at
Meopta MeoPro 8x42 HD
Minox 8x42 x lite

Just a thought - if the Nikons are UNDER 10 years old they are eligible for warranty coverage, the website will let you make a claim and send them in. Given the age, you're likely to get a new pair back rather than a repaired pair but either way you come out ahead if they qualify for service.

Just a thought - if the Nikons are UNDER 10 years old they are eligible for warranty coverage, the website will let you make a claim and send them in. Given the age, you're likely to get a new pair back rather than a repaired pair but either way you come out ahead if they qualify for service.
I purchased in nov 2011. Problem is I have receipt but no warranty card which they require, think it got lost when we moved. Thing is I have sent these in at least twice for repair of eyepiece. Have never been happy with them and now the armor is disintegrating For some reason. Think I am done with Nikon.

I purchased in nov 2011. Problem is I have receipt but no warranty card which they require, think it got lost when we moved. Thing is I have sent these in at least twice for repair of eyepiece. Have never been happy with them and now the armor is disintegrating For some reason. Think I am done with Nikon.
I would send them into Nikon with the armor issue, (given what pbjosh has stated earlier) you have nothing to lose, since you are looking for an upgrade anyway.

A demo Tract Toric is ten times the binocular that the Athlon Cronus and Viper HD is. Both of these are chinese made, the Toric is Japanese and far superior.

A demo Tract Toric is ten times the binocular that the Athlon Cronus and Viper HD is. Both of these are chinese made, the Toric is Japanese and far superior.
I like the 409 foot FOV on the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 a lot better than the rather narrow 377 foot FOV of the Tract Toric 8x42. The narrow FOV has always been a weak spot in Tracts line of binoculars. Plus Tract is just another rebranded product that doesn't have any presence in retail stores like Vortex does, so I could very well see them going the way of Stryka in a few years, and then you would be stuck with an orphan and your lifetime warranty would be pretty worthless. I feel Vortex is going to be around a lot longer than Tract will and quite a few other members do also.

"Vortex is honestly one of the brands I'd be least worried about. They've done a great job of building a solid reputation, especially in the hunting and shooting world. They've become my default recommendation when I see random folks asking for binocular advice because they're widely available, have a reputation of good support, and basically every binocular they make is somewhat competitive in its price range."

"I'm with Josh here, Vortex is the one "cheap" brand that I'm NOT worried about. They are widely known in the birding and hunting world, and those Amazon search results? Guess who also appears at the top of nearly every search? Believe it or not, despite their bad rap in this enthusiast forum, in the "normal" world the $200 Vortex Diamondback is the premium splurge option for someone who thinks binoculars cost $35. Nikon Monarch and Vortex Diamondback are THE two recommendations when someone wants to upgrade to non-junk optics but isn't ready able to spend a fortune. I see more Vortex used by birders out in the field than any other non "premium" brand, except perhaps for Nikon Monarchs. Vortex really pioneered this business model as the "direct-to-consumer upstart brand with an amazing warranty and optics that play was above their price point" and they've made it this far. Their binoculars have consistently bested low to mid-price tiers in all sorts of comparison tests. Years before the now decade-old Conquest HD shook up the mid level market, the Vortex Viper line had an established death grip on the "90% of alpha optics for 1/4 the price" award. And, again years before the Conquest, the Razor line was the first widely known optic to have the reputation of "imperceptibly close to alpha optics for half the price". Someone says "I want a premium scope, but I can't spend $3-4K on a Swaro or Zeiss or Leica". The most common answer will be "get a Razor HD". Their reputation and market presence is just solid, and they seem to have their marketing sensors tuned right. I don't see the fall of the Zen-Rays and Styrkas along the way is relevant to the elephant in the room. Vortex is 15+ years past the teething stages during which those other companies collapsed."

Your opinion on optics is meaningless to me, as my trust factor with you is history. The low to medium priced Vortex Chicom stuff sucks IMO.

I like the 409 foot FOV on the Vortex Viper HD 8x42 a lot better than the rather narrow 377 foot FOV of the Tract Toric 8x42. The narrow FOV has always been a weak spot in Tracts line of binoculars. Plus Tract is just another rebranded product that doesn't have any presence in retail stores like Vortex does, so I could very well see them going the way of Stryka in a few years, and then you would be stuck with an orphan and your lifetime warranty would be pretty worthless. I feel Vortex is going to be around a lot longer than Tract will and quite a few other members do also.
These are two of the reasons I ended up with the Viper HD 8x42. I have a hard time going back to binoculars with a narrower FOV because the view feels quite constricted by comparison. Vortex as a brand is huge in the hunting and general outdoor activity world, much more so than the impression I get reading this forum. I feel a lot more confident they'll be around in 10 or 20 years than similar brands in this market segment.

These are two of the reasons I ended up with the Viper HD 8x42. I have a hard time going back to binoculars with a narrower FOV because the view feels quite constricted by comparison. Vortex as a brand is huge in the hunting and general outdoor activity world, much more so than the impression I get reading this forum. I feel a lot more confident they'll be around in 10 or 20 years than similar brands in this market segment.
Exactly! The narrow FOV was the big reason I sold my Tract Toric 8x42. There is a lot of difference in how 377 feet versus 409 feet feels. I really think the market is over saturated with these Kamakura rebranders like Tract and a lot of them are going to go the way of Stryka.

Last edited:
First post here, frequent member of Rokslide.

I have recently picked up a pair of Hawke Frontier ED X's and they are phenomenal. Full disclosure, I do not have a lot ot compare them to, but I absolutely love them. I highly recommend checking them out.

I actually bought the Hawke Frontier ED (not X) and the focus knob was very loose. I emailed Hawke asking if this was normal, and they replied explaining that it is not and for me to send them in to them. I sent them in and then sent me back a pair of brand new Frontier ED X's. EXCELLENT customer service.

Looking for 8x42.
Am an eyeglass wearer.
was looking at
Meopta MeoPro 8x42 HD
Minox 8x42 x lite

I like the idea of the Endeavor ED-II and the Meopro HD. I've had both binoculars and still have the Vanguard. For the money the optics of the Vanguard are hard to beat. As of yet I haven't come across anything to beat it optically for sub $400. It has been a flawless binocular for me and I have had it several years. There have been a few reports of some quality control issues with some of the Vanguards and I believe most are the 8X32. I had the Meopro HD for a while as well and directly compared it to the Vortex HD on many birding trips. It is my opinion that the Meopro bettered the Vortex HD on all accounts except FOV. It's a well made binocular and Meopta is know for excellent customer service. I too wear eyeglasses and for sure the Vortex HD 8X42 was tight on eye relief. Both the Endeavor ED II and the Meopro HD 8X42s had an excess of ER for my uses.IMG_1731.jpeg

I like the idea of the Endeavor ED-II and the Meopro HD. I've had both binoculars and still have the Vanguard. For the money the optics of the Vanguard are hard to beat. As of yet I haven't come across anything to beat it optically for sub $400. It has been a flawless binocular for me and I have had it several years. There have been a few reports of some quality control issues with some of the Vanguards and I believe most are the 8X32. I had the Meopro HD for a while as well and directly compared it to the Vortex HD on many birding trips. It is my opinion that the Meopro bettered the Vortex HD on all accounts except FOV. It's a well made binocular and Meopta is know for excellent customer service. I too wear eyeglasses and for sure the Vortex HD 8X42 was tight on eye relief. Both the Endeavor ED II and the Meopro HD 8X42s had an excess of ER for my uses.View attachment 1365052
I had a Meopta Meopro 8x42 and I was never very impressed with it because of the soft edges, and it had a LOT of coma. The Vortex Viper HD was much better in these areas. The Vanguards are good binoculars, but they are not as bright as the Vortex Viper HD because of their low transmission. I would rule them out for that reason. Here are tests in Allbinos which concurs with what I observed. These are 10x42's, but you can extrapolate with the same binocular. The Meopro is 53rd place and the Viper HD is 24th. That should tell you something.

I'm reasonably familiar with the Vanguard ED II 8x42 because I took advantage of Amazon's pricing algorithm to order pairs for several family members under $200 USD each time. They are great binoculars, and all the more so for the price I paid, but I definitely prefer the Viper HD. The Vanguards have a very distinct warm cast due to uneven transmission, and they don't seem as bright as the Vortex. Plus the much lower FOV.

It is important to make sure we're talking about the same binoculars since the pre-2018 Viper line is completely different. The 2018 10x42 has fairly unimpressive transmission transmission similar to the Vanguards per the 2019 Allbinos, though I don't know how that applies to the 8x42 model.

I would add the Kowa BD II XD to your list. Very wide fov, awesome glass, and compact. I owned a pair and really liked them. Would still own them but upgraded to the 1k range. The build quality was also better than the others on your list IMHO. I’ve owned them all. My opinion only. Best to test the ones you’re interested in from a dealer with a good return policy.

Thanks for all the info. Sent my Nikons back to see if they will repair under warranty. If not will move forward

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back