• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins magnification (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
Hi, I'm only 13 but go birdwatching alot - now I'm desparate for new binoculars.

At the moment I'm using 8 x 32 binoculars NOT MADE FOR BIRDWATCHING(it was only decent one in our house when I started birdwaching), and it is incredibly heavy, and poor in dim weathers(I once mistook a dunlin for a common sandpiper - that's how blurrly and not bright it is).

My pocket money savings won't be able to afford good brands but less than 500 pounds decent one would do for me.

But the problem comes here - do people prefer magnification of 8 or 10?
At first my choice was 10 because I have problems seeing distant birds, but then, because I take birdwatching very seriously it's obvious I'll be buying a scope soon - that way I feel 8 is enough magnification.

What brands do you recommend? I'm currently thinking about RSPB HD binoculars as I've tried them a few times in shops and is very good, as well as affordable.

What do you think?

The RSPB HD bins are nice but if you looked into used stuff you could possible better them. If there's a branch of In-Focus near you I'd have a look in there for their used bins.
The Optictron Imagic BGA SE range of binoculars are very good and a little cheaper than the RSPB HD models. The 8 x 42 models are very good.
I'd not go above 8x magnification as the reduced field of view with 10x can be limiting. I know I used to miss birds that other people found as the 10x bins I was using at the time were a lot narrower field of view than the 8x the others were using. I'm now using 8x bins and not missing as many birds.
Whatever you get, enjoy your birding.

Well, for 500 pounds you can already afford very decent and long lasting bins. My Nikon 10x42 cost only US$ 300,- and if you go for the 8x42 they're even cheaper. With roughly 700 g, sturdy construction, proven weather resistance, excellent behaviour at bad light conditions and outstanding colors definition I'm frankly not thinking on upgrading at least for a while (and not because of budget shortage), so I can only recommend it to everyone looking for the midpriced bin with the best price-quality ratio.

My Dad recently bought a pair of the RSPB HD 10x42 and I think they are excellent and would have no problem recomending them,personally I prefer 10x though most birdwatchers do seem to prefer 8x.

For far less than your budget, you could get a pair of Nikon EII 8x30. Not that easy to find, but Clifton Cameras had them recently, as did a seller, based in HK, on the famous auction site. These are small, light, easy to use, and provide arguably (IMHO) among the top 2 or 3 views available in a binocular on the planet. They aren´t waterproof, and are "old-style" porros, but as long as you don´t swim with them, they´re fine. You won´t need another pair of binoculars until after your 40th birthday;).
If your heart is set on waterproof roof-prisms, try Hawke Frontier ED 8x43, or Zen-Ray ED 7x or 8x binos.
But if you want among the best, get the EII´s - superb, and a connoisseur´s binocular;).
Let us know what you decide!

Hi Birds4,
You have two issues, quality and power. The 8x30 Nikon E2 is world class optically, but is harder to find in the higher power variants. There is a 10x35, but no reviews afaik.
A Nikon data table is here:
http://www.pro-binoculars.com/Nikon-Binoculars,-Nature-Range,-Specification-E-&-SE.html
Do note the SE model is above your budget, but gets raves and might be affordable used .

Higher power, 10x or 12x, has its virtues, you see more of the bird, but the narrower field and the reality that your natural muscle tremors are amplified 10x or 12x are real negatives. Many top birders use lower power instead, because of the relaxed view and the wider field. Your choice in any case, you can get quite used to either and be very effective.

Finally, you would probably enjoy "Kingbird Highway" , an autobiographical record of a 'big year' solo trip through the US by a teenage Kenn Kaufman, now a very well known US birder and field guide author. He only could afford a pair of chain store binoculars, yet he still set the US record for the most species seen in a year.

Of the two best "field birders" I know and have birded with, one uses 10x and the other 7x bins.
I know loads of top class birders who invariably use 8x.
You really need to see which mag suits you best, but at 13, your eyes/coordination should be good enough to handle any mag.
In any event, enjoy the hobby with whatever bins you get.

When I was your age I was using Swift 7x35 porros. About a year ago I picked up a used pair of the modern version--Swift Eaglet 7x36. I like them for their compactness and their tremendously close focus. I've tried two pairs of 10x42 in the last few years and gotten rid of both. They're good if you're sitting with your elbows fixed, watching a feeder at an unvarying distance, but they're not my choice for rough birding.

Since you are concerned with brightness already, I think those who have suggested 42 mm are giving you sage advice. And you can save a lot of money if you can stomach the fact that your binoculars were made in China. In ten years no one will care: the same thing happened to Japan fifty years ago. The birds didn't care then, and they don't care now. Don't spend more unless you can SEE a difference.

IMO the law of diminishing return often applies to binoculars. If I were you I probably would get a pair of 8x42 Nikon Monarchs and spend the rest of the money on sound equipment for birding.
By the way porro prism binoculars although not fashionable often give more bang for your buck and the 8x32 Nikon SEs (similar to the EIIs - I have both) would be hard to beat if you are determined to spend all your pocket money on bins.

There are many birders out there with cheap bins (under $100) who can 'blow away' birders with vastly more expensive equipment. Don't get caught up in thinking your birding skills will miraculously transform with more expensive equipment.

Hi B4E,

Try before you buy, and think that you will be using your bins for hours ,if your hands are still abit on the small size you might find some of the 42's uncomfortable after a while. Ask other birders when you meet them for their advice and many will let you try their own optics.

Let us know how you get on, all the best Nigel.

I use 8x for field of view and holding steady.

Last year I bought some secondhand Nikon HGs from the year 2000. They are the pre-lightweight models. Purchase price then was £1000, I bought them for £300 in excellent condition. The view is sensational. I'd follow the classifieds really closely and save a heck of a lot of money.

Put it this way. the pre-lightweight Nikon HGs were put up in a test against Swarovski ELs and held their own. I can't speak about the more recent lightweight versions.

A tip to share - I went to an airshow last year (Fairford) and picked up an ex-display pair of 10x50's for £15. Absolutely brilliant bins, cant fault them and at that price you really cant complain!

I Started with "Prinz" 10x50 (think boots the chemist sold them) then swift 8.5 x44 audoubons, brilliant bins, now on 8.5x42 swaros.

Agree with Cassowary, it's not the optics that make a good birder.

Good luck with whatever you buy and good birding.

Dave

Newbe myself. But a tad older than you.

At my age, I prefer a 10x. Guess your hands are steadier than mine. So don't be put of by the shake, etc. Check 8x, 10x, 12x it out before you decide. Horses for courses.

I have a pair of Vortex Viper 8x32 and a pair of Leica Ultavid 8x32. They both great bins and there is very little between them in every respect. As the Leica's cost nearly three times more than the Vortex I think the Vortex are an absolute bargain and strongly recommend them. You should be able to find them well under £400.

Something to think about: do you wear glasses? If so then you probably already know you need binoculars with long relief to let you see the whole field of view. If not then it's worth considering that many people who will eventually need glasses find their eyesight starts deteriorating from about your age.

If you were just a few years older you could safely assume you won't need long relief if you don't wear glasses. But at your age you might find things are different in a year or two and that your new binoculars are no longer suitable. That said, I don't think insisting on long relief will restrict your choice much at the 500 pound mark, but it's worth checking before buying. Anything over 15mm is probably ok, but more is likely to be safer. Pay attention to reviews about the eyecups with long relief models - if you don't wear glasses then eyecups that keep collapsing down are a pain.

Despite what others have said about binoculars not making the birder, depending on what you've got now, you might find decent ones do make a huge difference. Definitely go to a shop and try some to see the difference. That will help you see what kind of difference you get for your money, and you might not need to spend as much as you think.

Waterproofing is worth having, in my opinion. It's very restrictive to have to put them away when it rains, even here in Australia. Porros can be really good value for money, but waterproof porros tend to have stiff focusing.

I was happy with the optics of my Bushnell Legend 8x42 porros (about AUD$300 from a shop), but the slow focusing was losing birds for me, so I changed to Nikon Monarch 8x42s (about the same price online from B&H, or about double that in the shops here). Similar optics, possibly slightly better, much narrower field of view.

As for 8x vs 10x, some people say it makes no difference, some say it does. It might depend how steady you can hold them. Unless you happen to live where the birds are far away, I'd go for 8x over 10x if it means a wider field of view.

I notice that several people have made suggestions without fully specifying which model they're talking about, just the brand and size. Not very useful.

Once you've shortlisted some models, it might be worth searching the appropriate brands' forums here for opinions. I wouldn't buy anything I haven't tried out personally.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back