• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Bird Call, Goa (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

A long shot, I know, but this has been puzzling me for several weeks now.

At the end of January, 9am on a sunny morning I was photographing a rufous treepie in open woodland just behind the market stalls next to Fort Aguada, North Goa. A bird began to call from the trees a little further into the forest, quite close but unreachable, so I couldn't investigate.

If I'd heard the same call at night on one of my frequent trips to Spain I would have said 'Scops Owl' without hesitation. The call was that typical repeated monotone whistle that went on for some time without variation. Very similar to a European Scops (which doesn't occur in Goa as far as I'm aware), but maybe a couple of notes lower on the scale. My wife who was with me also heard it and she agreed with the similarity to the familiar European Scops.

About an hour or so later we heard a similar call from what presumably must have been another individual about 400m further west at the bottom of the hill near the beginning of the housing at the south end of the Candolim Road.

I asked a local guide we used on several occasions what it might have been the next time I saw him, but he couldn't identify it. I've listened to all my Goa bird call recordings and can't find it there.

If it wasn't a bird, what was it? If it was a bird, well the same applies.

PS It didn't sound like a palm squirrel either.

Barred Wobbler

Neither of those Andy.

I know hoopoe well and I've heard scimitar babbler. It was nothing like the soft sound of a hoopoe. It was a loud, clear single note whistle, repeated. As I said if I'd heard it in Spain I'd have said Scops. Like the first st of these, but maybe very slightly lower in pitch.

https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Otus-scops

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread