• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird call ID help - South India (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi,

Please help IDing the bird call that sounds like a shriek at the end of this clip, recorded last week near Chennai in South India. I heard a series of similar single note calls with a pause of ~4 seconds between each call. Is it some hawk sp.? Apologies about the very short duration. There was way too much of vehicular noise and I could record only a short audio.

Thanks
Ajay

Attachments

• TRIMMED_Record-035.wav
    477.9 KB
A raptor possibly? Sorry to use this same thread for another audio clip that I recorded yesterday. Need help to ID this. Many would say Coppersmith Barbet but I feel it's something else. It has a double note and not a very tuk tuk sound. Heard it close to a water body and in a bush of small height trees. Thank you.
View attachment 1360437
I'm not sure where you are, is it also in South India?
The call sounds like a White-breasted Waterhen, I'm not sure if that's possible in your area.

Sorry, I can't help with the call in the first post.

I'm not sure where you are, is it also in South India?
The call sounds like a White-breasted Waterhen, I'm not sure if that's possible in your area.

Sorry, I can't help with the call in the first post.

I know that maniacle call well John and have just refreshed my memory on xeno canto, I can't find an example of this two note call from WbW?

I know that maniacle call well John and have just refreshed my memory on xeno canto, I can't find an example of this two note call from WbW?
Try these:

The maniacal call is given by two (or more) birds in greeting. This call is given by a lone bird, often at night (but not exclusively) and usually from within cover. It can be repeated for very long periods, especially in spring, and I think it may have a territorial function.

Try these:

The maniacal call is given by two (or more) birds in greeting. This call is given by a lone bird, often at night (but not exclusively) and usually from within cover. It can be repeated for very long periods, especially in spring, and I think it may have a territorial functi

Try these:

The maniacal call is given by two (or more) birds in greeting. This call is given by a lone bird, often at night (but not exclusively) and usually from within cover. It can be repeated for very long periods, especially in spring, and I think it may have a territorial function.
Thanks John and Alan.
Try these:

Thanks a lot John and Andy. I can sleep well tonight ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back