• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Bird call ID - New England (1 Viewer)

kmck21

United States
Good evening, I was outside earlier today and heard a very distinct bird call (captured twice in this sound clip). It sounded almost like a rattling and the bird was fairly high up in a tree so it was hard to see coloration but it looked smaller than a blue jay and bigger than a medium-sized woodpecker. The bird was in my backyard and a street down from the beach if that is of any help in terms of habitat.

I wasn't sure if it could possibly be a belted kingfisher?

Attachments

• New Recording 5.wav
    923.6 KB · Views: 0

The Bird Nuts

Birding Duo
Definitely not a Belted Kingfisher. Sounds like a Corvid; they can make some odd rattling sounds. My guess is a Blue Jay (instead of a crow) since it's rather high-pitched, and I just found this video which shows a Blue Jay making a similar sound:

In case you didn't know, there is a Song Sparrow singing in the background.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread