• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird call on the Scottish moors (a merlin?) (1 Viewer)

curlewsandpiper1980

I posted this on the Bird ID QA forum, but I could not get an ID, so because this call sound was recorded in the Scottish moors, I am trying my luck here.
(Sorry if I posting this is against the rules for the Scotland forum)

This was recorded in the moors in upland Findhorn valley, located in northeast Scotland, southeast from Inverness.

I heard this unknown bird making a quick 2 second squeezing call every minute or so, for a few minutes. My first guess was a grouse or partridge as I was in an area with them, but then I started thinking could this be a merlin or some other bird of prey?

The recording is here https://youtu.be/t_5yRgA7-bk

Yes, I am pretty confident it is a merlin, after hearing many recordings on xeno-canto.

Habitat was that of a merlin. It was upland heath, along a river valley, with patches of open meadow and some trees too. Plenty of meadow pipits in the area. Also plenty of partridges in the area, but I am not sure if they hunt those.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back