• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Bird "face recognition" software?? (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

Facts
1: Anyone with a lot of people photos may have tried Picassa 3 or other face recognition software for people so that you can find all of your photos of Grandma or something. It works incredibly well.

2: I see that ebird has an ap that will identify a bird species based on a photo.

Put the two together, has anyone found an application that will search all your photos like Picassa 3 but is programmed to recognize bird species?

I have thousands and thousands of bird ( and other wildlife photos) but they are organized chronologically by year and month. I'd love to have an application that will locate all of my wildlife and group them by species.

Has anyone found such an application?

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
All the bird recognition systems I am aware of are web or app based. All the scanning is done their end. I am not aware of any system that works offline.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Given this lack of a program to do that, what you would have needed from the start is a program for organizing your items. I like what ACDSee is doing for me, I can use categories or keywords that once assigned get saved into the image in the form of metadata, in addition to residing in the database. That means that if I want to look at my images of a given species, I click the appropriate category and the program displays them together even though they reside in different folders.

The point about the metadata being saved in the image is that even if the database should become corrupted, it is rather easy to read the metadata from the images and regenerate the database that way.

Niels

Users who are viewing this thread