• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Bird Families of the World - Lynx Edicions (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Cyprus
this volume distills the voluminous detail of the 17-volume Handbook of Birds of the World into a single book

Taken from the review at the link, wouldn't a better name for this be HBW Concise?

I am a confirmed bibliophile but between HBW the illustrated checklist and this volume, this just looks like they're squeezing the life out of HBW.

Taken in isolation, the quality of the book looks amazing but is it ultimately necessary?

Can't help thinking they're taking advantage of my weakness for books which means that I probably will buy it, grudgingly.

Andy

Last edited:

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
this volume distills the voluminous detail of the 17-volume Handbook of Birds of the World into a single book

........, this just looks like they're squeezing the life out of HBW.

Andy

I agree about the squeezing, though not necessarily to get the life out of HBW. I think it's more to try to get those people to buy who don't want a voluminous library yet love to have a quick overview in non-electronic form.

I have decided that I don't need this book despite being a bibliophile too.

But claiming to "distill the ....details" is pure marketing hype.

MJB

But claiming to "distill the ....details" is pure marketing hype.

Indeed, Robert, especially since one distils the original volume (of such as whisky mash) to obtain the result - the details!:t:

Marketing people have a frail understanding of anything technical, scientific or literate.:-C
MJB

T.O.

I bought this book and it arrived today and I rather like it. I do not own the 17 volumes of HBW, but together with the check list it gives a good "concise" overview of avian diversity. Quite some attention is devoted to explaining the relationship of every family with other families in the same order and also some attention is given on relationships between orders. All this taxonomical talk comes with lots of references (though not younger than 2014). I would say this book is more suitable for beginning (or medium interested) birders as the language is kept relatively simple and the text is not very detailed. But if you want a good overview on which articles the lynx edicions classification is based, you would need it as well... Though unfortunately there are almost no trees displaying the relationships clearly between families, so you would have to distill it from the text...

Jim M.

Choose Civility
Would agree there is a definite place for an up-to-date one or two volume overview of bird families of the world. This one looks attractive but seems to have some shortcomings as discussed above. Is anyone aware of any other books in this category? There is a book called the “Princeton Encyclopedia of Birds” which gets good reviews and appears to be similar, but the reviews suggest it is based upon research as of 2003, so too old to be attractive IMO.

T.O.

The Princeton does not compare to the one from Lynx, especially on the taxonomic side it is much weaker and not only because of its age... Especially the more obscure families are described in more detail in the Lynx book, though on some more well-known families the Princeton book may win. Also for the number of species illustrated (and the quality) the book from Lynx wins easily, but that is to be expected....

Ries

Netherlands
Oof, that's a beauty! At some places being offered for crazy almost double price as it's from Lynxeds themselves. See if I can make the budget for this somewhere coming months.

Andy Adcock

Cyprus
With the £ making slight gains recently, I belatedly purchased this for myself for Christmas, my wife will receive a nice copy of the new Jenni and Winkler.......;)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread