• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird from Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

hans-b

Location: Cabuya / Montezuma / Provinz Puntarenas / Costa Rica, 18.12.1999
If it is not possible to identify the species the family or genus would also be helpful.

Thanks for your help
Hans

www.boeckler.name

Attachments

• 029041.jpg
    029041.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 97

THE_FERN

Could it be a Black-headed Trogon?

Cheers

Think it must be. Was a bit worried by apparent barring at the underside base of tail but I think that's just strong lighting on those feathers. Female judging by pale yellow colour and more extensive black in the tail.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I am a bit worried by the lack of white in the tail. I just checked all the images I could find of the species in Macaulay Library and did not see any with white splotches this small. No matter if it is female or male it would have to be severely worn to have tips of tail feathers to look like this. And if it is this species (and I see no real alternative) then I get more of a male than female feeling from this.

Niels

THE_FERN

I am a bit worried by the lack of white in the tail. I just checked all the images I could find of the species in Macaulay Library and did not see any with white splotches this small. No matter if it is female or male it would have to be severely worn to have tips of tail feathers to look like this. And if it is this species (and I see no real alternative) then I get more of a male than female feeling from this.

Niels

Greater black in the tail is one of the markers of female over male.

Users who are viewing this thread