• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird from Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

hans-b

Location: Cabuya / Montezuma / Provinz Puntarenas / Costa Rica, 18.12.1999
If it is not possible to identify the species the family or genus would also be helpful.

Thanks for your help
Hans

www.boeckler.name

Attachments

• 029041.jpg
    029041.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 97
Could it be a Black-headed Trogon?

Cheers

Think it must be. Was a bit worried by apparent barring at the underside base of tail but I think that's just strong lighting on those feathers. Female judging by pale yellow colour and more extensive black in the tail.

I am a bit worried by the lack of white in the tail. I just checked all the images I could find of the species in Macaulay Library and did not see any with white splotches this small. No matter if it is female or male it would have to be severely worn to have tips of tail feathers to look like this. And if it is this species (and I see no real alternative) then I get more of a male than female feeling from this.

Niels

I am a bit worried by the lack of white in the tail. I just checked all the images I could find of the species in Macaulay Library and did not see any with white splotches this small. No matter if it is female or male it would have to be severely worn to have tips of tail feathers to look like this. And if it is this species (and I see no real alternative) then I get more of a male than female feeling from this.

Niels

Greater black in the tail is one of the markers of female over male.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back