• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird from Sumba island (1 Viewer)

mehdhalaouate

I would like some help with IDing this bird:
Picture taken in West Timor’s lowland forests.

Regards,
Mehd.

Attachments

• Bird 1b.jpg
    Bird 1b.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 150
Hi Mehd,
I'm relying a lot on instinct here. First impression (and I probably rely too much on them when I am not sure) - the beak of a Pachycephala. For me, this is Pachycephala orpheus (Fawn-breasted Whistler).

cuckooroller said:
Hi Mehd,
I'm relying a lot on instinct here. First impression (and I probably rely too much on them when I am not sure) - the beak of a Pachycephala. For me, this is Pachycephala orpheus (Fawn-breasted Whistler).

Agree that it is a Pachycephala species, looks most like Fawn-breasted but not sure whether female Golden Whistler could be completely eliminated from this shot - as I recall females are quite similar, the uppartpart colouration seems most reliable feature - any shots showing these?

Tim Allwood said:
is Fawn-breasted on Sumba?

could well be a Golden...

Tim

Hey Tim,

I think Fawn-breasted is only on Timor, Wetar and a couple of other small islands - the caption to the photo said it was taken in West Timor so forgot that Sumba was mentioned in the thread title - this should sort the problem based on range.

Checked my notes, the brighter yellow restricted to the undertail coverts and rather plain breast of this bird would seem to point towards Golden in any case.

Rob

Yes, I think Mehd made an original mistake on the Title caption (you can not correct them once you have sent them I have found). I took this bird for being in West Timor (or Timor as it is only a political division of same island), and which was repeated on the photo caption. Rob may be right, I imagine he is talking about the Banda Sea Whistler (Pachycephala macrorhyncha calliope), and bear with me here as my Clement's is at the other house and so I am using the HM taxonomy which has split all of the various pectoralis races (about 55 in all as I recall) according to Galbraith's groupings. Rob, I did look at the two photos (of orpheus) on OBI, and believe they do resemble. However, I haven't the slightest idea of what the female of this race of pectoralis (or whatever it may be called) might offer as distinguishers from orpheus.

think it's FB as the race (caliope) of Golden on Timor has a grey chest band (Coates & Bishop)

FB has greyish head and nice yellow undertail like this bird as well

Tim

I don't know what I was thinking when I sent this, I got mixed up as I have some pics of birds from Sumba that need IDing too, sorry about the mixed up.
The shot was taken in W-Timor and not in Sumba.
Thanks you all for all the help, Fawn-breasted Whistler was also my guess but sometimes you need other suggestions from others who might see in the pics things that you miss.
Kind regards,
Mehd.
I'll try to send the pics of the birds from Sumba for IDing later.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back