• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird girl (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I follow her on Twitter, and think its refreshing and important to see young people into birding and passionate about the environment.
I know her opinions won't find universal approval, and she's attracted some criticism from the no-fly exponents for advocating environmentalism whilst building a life list in excess of 5000.
Agree with Andy that as someone from a working class background who loves travel and birds, I wish my parents had been rich enough to take me further than Dorset! Although in those days, once you got outside of Europe and North America, you must've really been hampered by the lack of decent field guides.

I follow her on Twitter, and think its refreshing and important to see young people into birding and passionate about the environment.
I know her opinions won't find universal approval, and she's attracted some criticism from the no-fly exponents for advocating environmentalism whilst building a life list in excess of 5000.
Agree with Andy that as someone from a working class background who loves travel and birds, I wish my parents had been rich enough to take me further than Dorset! Although in those days, once you got outside of Europe and North America, you must've really been hampered by the lack of decent field guides.

Not to mention her and her parents twitching activities in the UK.

Not a topic on which I will post again.

I have known Helena & Chris Craig for well over a decade and probably first met Helena professionally before I knew Chris was a birder.

Chris is retired and is a very active local birder as well as a very experienced world birder.

I last bumped into him on his patch a month ago and last exchanged messages with him on the local WhatsApp group this week.

His and Mya's lists are on Bubo as is an old profile of Mya so no need to wonder if people are interested in numbers. Posting on individuals seems very personal unless there is a substance to the discussion or a purpose but I do accept that this is a discussion about a BBC news item.

As they are public, links to lists posted here:-

https://bubo.org/view-all-lists.html#listtop

https://bubo.org/view-list.html?list_id=205

https://bubo.org/view-list.html?list_id=5793

Bear in mind Bristol is flexing its green credentials with a history of Green MPs and airport expansion turned down (at least for now) on the basis of climate emergency despite economic arguments. So despite my fatalistic view and indeed various controversies/complexities, this is the type of step which personally, I consider to be very positive.

Edit - I simply record that this was a post responding to one that has now been deleted......

Second edit - a link to Mya at the ceremony - https://twitter.com/BristolUni/status/1230532639112810503?s=19

All the best

Last edited:
As you said Paul, this is a national news article and they have never been shy anyway and my comment on her World list was casual, I have no real interest in anyones list other than my own.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51561747

The way they put her front and centre and looking at her subject choices at college, you may well have her as a local MP some day.

Last edited:
I'll add that old men criticising a young girl smacks of misogyny & jealousy. Let's not go down the Piers Morgan/Greta Thunberg route eh? The more youngsters getting into the hobby regardless of their political or other views should be welcomed by all. I hope she goes far.

Jelousy undoubtedly, misogyny unlikely, I saw simialr sentiemts voiced years ago a gainst a young man but your post is without question ageist, you assume that all the critcism has come from older men whom you would undoubtedly brand 'gammon'.

Last edited:
Let's please not allow this thread to go haywire.......no-one on BF has so far shown any misogynistic traits , yes, perhaps slightly envious rather than jealous. A well known social media site has had at least two Norfolk birders accused of bullying, harrassment, racism and the threat of Police intervention due to on line comments. Just a heads up folks, whatever your thoughts may be, various cards have been shown and played elsewhere. I'm all for a passionate debate but not when the dice are loaded.
Cheers,
Pat

Not sure how you work that one out, Andy. I can almost guarantee I'm older than you and I didn't once mention Brexshit. ;)

Edit; just looked at your D.O.B. on your profile, I was right you young pup!

A pity you don't afford others the same privilege, anonymity is the scourge of modern times, if you have an opinion, own it.

One day, someone on here will defend their point of view without recourse to the usual accusations of 'ism's and 'phobias'

Last edited:
No Dave, you said you'd be very grateful if your parents financed or took you around the world (#6).

I note that Dave ( Red eyed video? ) has deleted his posts from this thread, therefore the numbers and replies wont make any sense.

Last edited:
Posting on individuals seems very personal unless there is a substance to the discussion or a purpose but I do accept that this is a discussion about a BBC news item.

Agree completely, but don't think there was any harm in Andy pointing out the BBC news item, it is rare enough for any birders to make national news items, even rarer for it to be a positive story.

Apologies if I inadvertently contributed to the thread kicking off a bit by my comment on the world birding thing and becoming more 'personal'. For the record I think its great what she's achieved.

Agree completely, but don't think there was any harm in Andy pointing out the BBC news item, it is rare enough for any birders to make national news items, even rarer for it to be a positive story.

Apologies if I inadvertently contributed to the thread kicking off a bit by my comment on the world birding thing and becoming more 'personal'. For the record I think its great what she's achieved.

Andy/kb57

I was just trying to keep things on track. No criticism intended.

As said below, the links to lists were in response to some conjecture on numbers which was subsequently deleted. I totally understand why.

The link to Mya's speech on Twitter is certainly worth a watch. Greta Thumberg in Bristol on Friday.

https://twitter.com/BristolUni/status/1230532639112810503?s=20

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1231177354933915649?s=19

All the best & good birding all

Andy/kb57

I was just trying to keep things on track. No criticism intended.

As said below, the links to lists were in response to some conjecture on numbers which was subsequently deleted. I totally understand why.

The link to Mya's speech on Twitter is certainly worth a watch. Greta Thumberg in Bristol on Friday.

https://twitter.com/BristolUni/status/1230532639112810503?s=20

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1231177354933915649?s=19

All the best & good birding all

No worries Paul, I was actually being a bit critical of myself, I might've anticipated something would kick off.

I saw her speech on Twitter and was well impressed - especially when I think back to what I'd have been capable of (or not) as a 17 year old!

No worries Paul, I was actually being a bit critical of myself, I might've anticipated something would kick off.

I saw her speech on Twitter and was well impressed - especially when I think back to what I'd have been capable of (or not) as a 17 year old!

Remember my words...........

'The way they put her front and centre and looking at her subject choices at college, you may well have her as a local MP some day.'............

Remember my words...........

'The way they put her front and centre and looking at her subject choices at college, you may well have her as a local MP some day.'............

Might be an improvement on my recent constituency MPs...a Corbynista who spend so much time fighting the class war she managed to lose the seat to a no-hope Tory who tweets about his Barbour jacket

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with any post with a focus on a single individual particularly one who may well not be aware of being mentioned here. I'm still more concerned given her youth and that she has been subjected to some unpleasant online trolling. Hence, it's my contention that this thread should be taken down before any unpleasantness has a chance to manifest itself (thankfully none so far). However, as the thread is here, I'd like to add my congratulations to her for her remarkable achievement and her much-needed work to broaden interest in the natural world.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with any post with a focus on a single individual particularly one who may well not be aware of being mentioned here. I'm still more concerned given her youth and that she has been subjected to some unpleasant online trolling. Hence, it's my contention that this thread should be taken down before any unpleasantness has a chance to manifest itself (thankfully none so far). However, as the thread is here, I'd like to add my congratulations to her for her remarkable achievement and her much-needed work to broaden interest in the natural world.

Sorry John, don't agree,
you can't remove a thread because there 'might' be unpleasantness and I hear the they have endured some nasty stuff online already, yet, they happily continue to raise her profile.

Would you feel the same were the thread about Lee Evans?

Last edited:
Sorry John, don't agree,
you can't remove a thread because there 'might' be unpleasantness

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with any post with a focus on a single individual particularly one who may well not be aware of being mentioned here.

Agree with Andy. A news story is a news story is a news story.

However ...

It's a pretty positive story in a world where young birders coming through has been bemoaned as a dying situation, and as this and other stories bring to the attention, it is the younger generation who are taking the initiative in the conservation arena.

Any negativity towards individuals gets picked up on here fairly well, and anyone being particularly (or even a bit) unpleasant to Mya or her peers will only draw attention to themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back