• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird girl (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the vogue term for a 17 year old girl these days if 'young Lady' is patronising, especially when others have called her a child which she most definitely is not?

Maybe it's just a manner of speech, but back when if someone had referred to me as 'young Man' (capitalised) you would know it was either as you were being told off or patronised. You also referred to her as being 'of a tender age'. But not entirely sure what the correct 'way' would be!! ;)

(It does seem to kinda fit with the media image, and the rhetoric from certain demographics online of a certain other 'young person' ...)

But anyway.

Maybe it's just a manner of speech, but back when if someone had referred to me as 'young Man' (capitalised) you would know it was either as you were being told off or patronised. You also referred to her as being 'of a tender age'. But not entirely sure what the correct 'way' would be!! ;)

(It does seem to kinda fit with the media image, and the rhetoric from certain demographics online of a certain other 'young person' ...)

But anyway.

Has she been given an honourary Doctorate? At least a few more people have heard of her and she has been in the headlines longer so that would have been less of a surprise.

I'm genuinely surprised (though I shouldn't be by now) that no one is picking M-R up on the conflict of interest or are they, perhaps that debate has been silenced, it's certainly not tolerated here is it.

Last edited:
I have avoided commenting on the issue of race, but am fully aware that racism has been used against those who have been critical of the award. Bristol University is autonomous to do what ever it likes in respect of who it chooses to award degrees. I have no doubt that the child in question has done some useful work in the community. I remain unconvinced, as do others that the actions reach the bar required to warrant this award. I would go further and say it devalues similar awards to individuals who have done in many cases undertaken valuable work over whole careers.

Has she been given an honourary Doctorate? At least a few more people have heard of her and she has been in the headlines longer so that would have been less of a surprise.

I'm genuinely surprised (though I shouldn't be by now) that no one is picking M-R up on the conflict of interest or are they, perhaps that debate has been silenced!

Greta was Time Person of the Year and nominated for the Noble Peace Prize last year ... maybe it's only a matter of time? ... ;)

I have avoided commenting on the issue of race, but am fully aware that racism has been used against those who have been critical of the award. Bristol University is autonomous to do what ever it likes in respect of who it chooses to award degrees. I have no doubt that the child in question has done some useful work in the community. I remain unconvinced, as do others that the actions reach the bar required to warrant this award. I would go further and say it devalues similar awards to individuals who have done in many cases undertaken valuable work over whole careers.

Child, young person, or person?

Greta was Time Person of the Year and nominated for the Noble Peace Prize last year ... maybe it's only a matter of time? ... ;)

No comment on the conflict of interest as evidenced in her own words?

''My big passion is World Birding & I became the youngest person to see 5369th birds in Brazil in August 2019 which was 1/2 the world’s birds.'

Her bio on the blog states

'Mya-Rose is also involved in Youth Strikes, Youth for our Planet highlighting issues with biodiversity and species extinction and has set up a local Extinction Rebellion group.'

I do not see how the two passions can be reconciled with each other in good conscience but even on this evidence, from her own website, I'll be painted as a 'hater' when all I've done is point to the obvious.

Last edited:

Part of this is days out for kids, free if you're VME, 'visible, ethnic, minority'.

Last edited:
Child, young person, or person?

All of them I think are appropriate, accurate and correct, plus teenager, youth, young woman.......surely no-one can be offended by any of those? Probably much kinder that some modern urban expressions used in say Bristol, London or Manchester.

Child. Legal definition of a person under the age of 18 under U.K. law.

All of them I think are appropriate, accurate and correct, plus teenager, youth, young woman.......surely no-one can be offended by any of those? Probably much kinder that some modern urban expressions used in say Bristol, London or Manchester.

Technically. But does kinda fit a narrative, depending on the perspective you wish for.

There are people here on BF who are under the age of 18, some by quite a bit. Would we seriously be referencing them as a 'child' in posts eg in the Bird Q and A section?

Last edited:
Honestly my mind is boggled on why people are focused on complaining about this girl getting an award. Who cares? Sure there might be people you can argue "deserve" it more, but than there are people getting awards that far far less deserving than her. Maybe it's just seeing a presidential freedom award go to Rush Limbaugh is giving me more perspective, but certainly there are bigger issues to be concerned with.

Technically. But does kinda fit a narrative, depending on the perspective you wish for.

There are people here on BF who are under the age of 18, some by quite a bit. Would we seriously be referencing them as a 'child' in posts eg in the Bird Q and A section?

Depends on the agenda and the individual, if you're accusing someone of trolling, then yes, clearly intended to try and shame them in to not commenting.

This 'person', has been promoted by her parents from avery young age and is well used to the media attention. She has a team around her who manage her online and social media presence to their advantage, with that comes risk.

I don't know which of here mentors has advised that it's ok to be whisked around the World so frequently whilst at the same time, putting herself at the forefront of a youth movement on behalf of the planet!

Depends on the agenda and the individual, if you're accusing someone of trolling, then yes, clearly intended to try and shame them in to not commenting.

This 'person', has been promoted by her parents from avery young age and is well used to the media attention. She has a team around her who manage her online and social media presence to their advantage, with that comes risk.

I don't know which of here mentors has advised that it's ok to be whisked around the World so frequently whilst at the same time, putting herself at the forefront of a youth movement on behalf of the planet!

Sort of agree. The "birdgirl" project I understand is to raise the profile with a view of securing a future in the media. I have heard Springwatch mentioned on more than one occasion in dispatches. The decision to "make your child famous" by managing a social media account has its problems, in that you are unable to manage all the responses, some of which may not be what your carefully managed profile wants to here. In the case of the "birdgirl" project this has actually gone further. There are examples of friends being contacted and asked to vote in competitions - for example a competition to make a professional wildlife film. Competitions should be won on the basis of talent not on the number of friends you can get to vote for your child.

I bumped into the family once on the Somerset Levels. They were leading a group of youngsters and were very pleasant. Pointed us in the right direction for the Little Bittern too. :t:

Rich

Sort of agree. The "birdgirl" project I understand is to raise the profile with a view of securing a future in the media. I have heard Springwatch mentioned on more than one occasion in dispatches. The decision to "make your child famous" by managing a social media account has its problems, in that you are unable to manage all the responses, some of which may not be what your carefully managed profile wants to here. In the case of the "birdgirl" project this has actually gone further. There are examples of friends being contacted and asked to vote in competitions - for example a competition to make a professional wildlife film. Competitions should be won on the basis of talent not on the number of friends you can get to vote for your child.

Wealthy people usually have influential contacts, some people are just born more equal than others with a head start from the day they're born.

She had a World list not far off mine by the time she was eleven, damn right I'm envious!

I bumped into the family once on the Somerset Levels. They were leading a group of youngsters and were very pleasant. Pointed us in the right direction for the Little Bittern too. :t:

Rich

I'm not sure anyone has accused them of not being pleasant? You can be pleasant and hypocritical at the same time, one doesn't preclude the other.

I still haven't seen anyone defend her World, birding ambitions allied to her status as a teen, environmental campaigner, genuinely interested to know how people think it looks?

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone has accused them of not being pleasant? You can be pleasant and hypocritical at the same time, one doesn't preclude the other.

I still haven't seen anyone defend her World, birding ambitions allied to her status as a teen, environmental campaigner, genuinely interested to know how people think it looks?

I didn’t say anyone had if you read my post.

Those who have raised politely the potential conflict between a large carbon footprint through world birding and the “conservation pioneer” brand name have been accused by those managing the “birdgirl” brand of being racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back