• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird House Colour? (1 Viewer)

jb144

Instead of a home made bird house this year I decided to buy a ready made one. This was white in colour but since putting up I have had no bird interest at all. Does the colour matter for potential nesters?

Hornchurch

Instead of a home made bird house this year I decided to buy a ready made one. This was white in colour but since putting up I have had no bird interest at all. Does the colour matter for potential nesters?
'

I did read on some wild-bird info' site, that "White" is regarded as a 'danger' colour, but it sounded like bol--x to me.

(But I'd understand 'Red' for obvious reasons)

I've placed NINE (ready-made) bird-nest-boxes out this year and SEVEN of them were 'New'

However, the TWO that I'd revamped, plus the other SEVEN were ALL treated in 'Cuprinol/Ronseal' woodstain colour **

** ("Dark Oak", to be precise)

Like you, I was concerned about the colour (bright), of 'new' boxes deterring them.

The stuff I used is ALL water-based, dark & soluble - (plus, importantly, harmless to birds)

However, THIS.........

The box nearest my bedroom, had the "strange tapping sound" eminating from it.

Several days went by, yet the 'tapping' sound persisited !

Looking on this forum, I found-out that SOME 'Blue-Tits' do tap & hammer the wood***
*** (there is a fine, clear, crisp, You Tube video, showing this EXACT behaviour)

Looked like the outside had been 'done' by a Woodpecker, so, days later, I used a remedy.

They do sell Aluminium-plates, with 28mm or 32mm holes thru them....

These are to effectively 'steel reinforce' (Alu'), the nestbox hole from predators.

Mentioned to my Dad that "The Silver plates might just put them off" (as they'd started using it, but not yet nesting)

Silver-Aluminium-plate is facing due-East, so it DOES catch the morning sunlight, therefore, reflective.

Due to this 'Lockdown', I've had chance to study their behaviour & learn...

They WERE hesitant at first, but, gradually, they learned to accept it.

Rest of my NINE boxes remain in "Dark Oak", as I wanted them to blend-in (as per your concerns)

My ornotholic/avian knowledge is scant, so others will no-doubt chime-in.

Just figured I'd relate to you, my own experience of 'Silver-plating' (bright colour change) on just ONE of my boxes.

Might just be too late now, for you to 'recoat or re-paint' yours & then get results ?

I'll look forward to see what others have to say....

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
White shouldn't make a difference, however location and when you put it up will have some relevance. Most Tit species for example are incubating or feeding young as we write, and prospect in January / February before settling for a site. Other factors too, is it close to a feeding station? What type of nestbox is it?

Luigi

I made these two colourful bird houses and both were used. The hole is sized for blue tits and such.

Attachments

• bird boxes.jpg
    bird boxes.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 19.58.09.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 19.58.09.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread