• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird hunting in Afghanistan (1 Viewer)

Best quote from report:

"Thirty years ago, I used to shoot 500-700 sparrows a day with my sling shot," says Haji Shakoor, 57, from Salang valley. "The sky used to be full of birds. But now it seems so empty."

I wonder why.....?

As with all these reports, and there are hundreds of them, it's all very depressing. Add habitat destruction into the equation ...

The locals have no knowledge about sustainable hunting. What on earth did he do with 500 plus Sparrows a day? How can any one shoot a Sparrow without feeling guilty?

Hunting in this part of the world is excessive at its best. The 1979 Soviet invasion and the flood of weapons to defeat them has destroyed the fabric of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Best quote from report:

"Thirty years ago, I used to shoot 500-700 sparrows a day with my sling shot," says Haji Shakoor, 57, from Salang valley. "The sky used to be full of birds. But now it seems so empty."

I wonder why.....?

The locals have no knowledge about sustainable hunting. What on earth did he do with 500 plus Sparrows a day? How can any one shoot a Sparrow without feeling guilty?

Hunting in this part of the world is excessive at its best. The 1979 Soviet invasion and the flood of weapons to defeat them has destroyed the fabric of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

No doubt he sold them down the market. In Nepal I met a couple of kids with a Grey-backed Shrike and a slingshot. When I asked why, they said it was for the pot. Contributing to the household in an area where people tend to only be able to grow enough food for 9 months of the year. I would have thought that there is even less to grow in Afghanistan. Hence no guilt, just a dwindling income and decline in protein intake. Worth taking a look at Himalayan Permeculture Project website to see what can, and is, being done to improve matters ecologically sustainably .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back