• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have asked other people and some have told me Iduna opaca too. It woudn't be an impossible option, however there are no records of this species in the area according to eBird. Therefore, could you please say why do you think it is one species or another?

I'd be a bit worried about this, if I'd seen it, because I've never seen I.opaca, and I'd want it to be one! I'd want my first one to have a more obviously broad bill and more distinctive face. But the thing that most worries me is the last image, where there's one really long-looking, odd undertail coverts feather? Could the others be damaged or something, meaning they would otherwise be more 'acro' like? Keen to hear more about why it's defo a W. Ollie, from those who know the species.

I know the species but think I may have been a bit hasty in judging the image! I only looked at the second image (I can’t access the sound file on my mobile). Looking at the first now, the base of the bill is narrow and is pointed (acro shaped). The first image, which I didn’t open, shows a rich warm utcs/rump area! I think it is better a European Reed Warbler!

My excuse is I was travelling all night and haven’t slept yet - apologies! :cool:

Last edited:
Can baeticatus be ruled out?

I doubt it.

it should be within breeding range of ambiguus so the more apt question is can we rule out scirpaceus (on basis of migration timing)? I guess the answer to that is no also.

In case OP/anyone else is confused by this:-

Reed Warblers breeding in Iberia are now though to be African Reed Warblers Acrocephalus baeticus subspecies ambiguus as opposed to the Eurasian Reed Warblers Acrocephalus scirpaceus that breed in the rest of Europe (and migrate through Iberia).

subspecies ambiguus is however incredibly similar in appearance to scirpaceus , in fact pretty much identical for practical purposes.

So this bird could be either... Definitely a "Reed Warbler" of some type however

cheers,
James

EDIT; spelling should be baeticatus as pointed out by Rafael

Last edited:
I doubt it.

it should be within breeding range of ambiguus so the more apt question is can we rule out scirpaceus (on basis of migration timing)? I guess the answer to that is no also.

In case OP/anyone else is confused by this:-

Reed Warblers breeding in Iberia are now though to be African Reed Warblers Acrocephalus baeticus subspecies ambiguus as opposed to the Eurasian Reed Warblers Acrocephalus scirpaceus that breed in the rest of Europe (and migrate through Iberia).

subspecies ambiguus is however incredibly similar in appearance to scirpaceus , in fact pretty much identical for practical purposes.

So this bird could be either... Definitely a "Reed Warbler" of some type however

cheers,
James

Cheers, but my question was mostly a rhetorical one (I knew the answer to it). Note the spelling: baeticatus, not baeticus (not derived from Baetica, the old Roman province of Southern Spain) :t:

as I said ‘ambiguous’! (which was a pun btw)
It didn't go unnoticed! ;)

Is that also North of Madrid? So where’s the limit?
So any ‘afri-euro’ reed type remains unidentifiable in late summer?!

Close to Madrid, just to the NE. I think that's a big unknown currently and I'd say it's probably safer not to ID them to species. Also, the taxonomic status of ambiguus is still being disputed: does it belong in scirpaceus, in baeticatus or could it be a separate species?

EDIT: sorry, I see the link you posted covers the issues I just mentioned above.

Thanks for spelling check Rafael!
Looks like 7/10 birds from Catalonia and 9/9 from Valencia in that study were from the ambiguus clade, so local breeders in central Spain *should* be ambiguus also, but I guess you couldn’t rule scirpaceus out. I’m not sure if there is any additional evidence on this subject?
James

Thanks for spelling check Rafael!
Looks like 7/10 birds from Catalonia and 9/9 from Valencia in that study were from the ambiguus clade, so local breeders in central Spain *should* be ambiguus also, but I guess you couldn’t rule scirpaceus out. I’m not sure if there is any additional evidence on this subject?
James

I don't know new evidence (published), but I'd guess that is on its way...
E-bird is currently apparently considering all records of breeding Acros in Iberia as baeticatus: https://ebird.org/map/afrwar1?env.m...xX=43.6805057528507&env.maxY=43.2077783892461

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back