• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird ID Confirmation - Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

PhilB40

United Kingdom
Hi,

2 birds that I would like confirmation that my ID is correct if possible please.

First one was taken fairly late at night, and seemed to be building a nest inside the hotel complex, which was near Sigiriya Rock. I think it may be a Dusky Crag Martin?

Second one was in Yala National Park 10/2/17, this one I think is a Lesser Sand Plover.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

PhilB40

Attachments

• 2017_02_02_PJB_5685.JPG
    2017_02_02_PJB_5685.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 2017_02_10_PJB_2739.JPG
    2017_02_10_PJB_2739.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 49

THE_FERN

Sandplovers are difficult at the best of times---and yours is covered in mud. I would have said lesser based (mainly) on overall proportions, leg length

PhilB40

United Kingdom
Sandplovers are difficult at the best of times---and yours is covered in mud. I would have said lesser based (mainly) on overall proportions, leg length
Thanks for the update - I have looked at other Photos taken at the time and found this, which is clearly a different bird, but not in the Mud. Does this help?

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
Supporter
England
Lesser.....can't remember seeing Greater in SR at all....plenty of Lessers in Yala tho

Users who are viewing this thread