• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird ID help (1 Viewer)

scottya

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
Any thoughts on what bird this is? I saw it in July at Charleston Lake, which is northeast of Kingston, Ontario. Possibly a grosbeak, or female scarlet tanager?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

Attachments

• 200817_080.jpg
    200817_080.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 58

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Staff member
Supporter
Wales
Sorry Scott. Can’t help with the bird but wanted to say welcome to BirdForum from all staff and moderators.

Rich

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
Scarlet Tanager is the only likely species in that location. Which is helpful, because ID of tanagers is tricky when you're not looking at a breeding male -- though the dark wings are somewhat helpful in this case.

I think this one is an immature male (darker wings than a female especially at the shoulder, and a hint of reddish tones at the forehead), and he's either molting heavily or still growing his first feathers - you can see a half-formed feather at the top of the head, for example, and you'll notice gaps in plumage at the throat, the backs of the cheeks, etc. I think I can see a bit of "juvenile gape" - a thickened "lip" at the base of the beak that's usually bright-colored in nestlings. It's not usually visible in photos of birds more than a few weeks old, but most photos don't usually show this much detail so I may just be seeing an adult gape.

Users who are viewing this thread