• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Lawrence, Kansas - description only (1 Viewer)

I was hiking by Clinton lake yesterday about an hour before sunset and I saw a pair of small birds, and I would really like to know what kind of birds they were.

They were both a startlingly bright sapphire blue color. They looked small enough to fit in my hand, perhaps 3-4" with their wings closed. Their heads were round, and I think that their beaks and legs were both black. Their beaks seemed fairly narrow.

I know it isn't very much to go on, but any kind of a starting point would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was hiking by Clinton lake yesterday about an hour before sunset and I saw a pair of small birds, and I would really like to know what kind of birds they were.

They were both a startlingly bright sapphire blue color. They looked small enough to fit in my hand, perhaps 3-4" with their wings closed. Their heads were round, and I think that their beaks and legs were both black. Their beaks seemed fairly narrow.

I know it isn't very much to go on, but any kind of a starting point would be appreciated. Thanks!

hi abbigail,welcome to the forum, as a starting point did your bird resemble a hummingbird.

Hi, Abbigail, and welcome to BirdForum from over here in Saint Joseph. We are glad to have you join us.

Your birds were male Indigo Buntings. They have just returned to our area from being down south. They will nest here and go back down south when winter arrives.

I would recommend the Sibley Guide to Birds of North America or the Sibley Guide to Birds of Eastern North America. The latter is a smaller book that is a little easier to carry around and will have all the birds in our area.
John Bollin
Leavenworth, Kansas, USA

Sibley's Eastern Field Guide would be good. Some people like the Peterson's Eastern Field Guide. I think a good bird guide for beginning birders is the Golden Guide, "Birds of North America". All of these should be available at your local book stores.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back