• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Bird ID Leeds, UK (1 Viewer)

EmilyKate

England
Hi
Could anyone help me with am ID of this little one, please?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 0D46FBA3-DB00-4A06-B21B-15F1AAA2A910.jpeg
    0D46FBA3-DB00-4A06-B21B-15F1AAA2A910.jpeg
    739.9 KB · Views: 47

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Emily,
can you please give the date for the second picture?
It is either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler.
Overall jizz and lousy plumage (???) seems good for a quite young 1 cy bird to me. Its hard to be sure, at least I am.

Broad supercilium behind the eye seems better for a WW, but the contrasting and white eye-ring (also above the eye) is better for a Chiffchaff. Overall jizz seems slightly better for WW, I think, but many fledged WW have slightly cleaner, paler underparts. I realize, that underparts distracts me from WW-jizz. But they are so variable (and much harder to ID than older birds), and I am far from an expert in variation in such young warblers.
There are some threads here about very young WW/Chiffchaffs with helpful comments by others.

Do you have more pictures?

EmilyKate

England
Hello Emily,
can you please give the date for the second picture?
It is either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler.
Overall jizz and lousy plumage (???) seems good for a quite young 1 cy bird to me. Its hard to be sure, at least I am.

Broad supercilium behind the eye seems better for a WW, but the contrasting and white eye-ring (also above the eye) is better for a Chiffchaff. Overall jizz seems slightly better for WW, I think, but many fledged WW have slightly cleaner, paler underparts. I realize, that underparts distracts me from WW-jizz. But they are so variable (and much harder to ID than older birds), and I am far from an expert in variation in such young warblers.
There are some threads here about very young WW/Chiffchaffs with helpful comments by others.

Do you have more pictures?
Hi Alexander
The second photo was taken early August last year, if that helps. And no, I don’t have any more photo, I’m sorry.
Thank you for taking the time to share your expertise!

Users who are viewing this thread