• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID, Martil (northern Morocco) (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
I received this from a friend of mine; it was photographed last week in Martil, Tangier peninsula (northern Morocco). Sorry for the quality of the picture, it was very far. Do you have any idea of what is it?

Thanks,

Attachments

• bird ID.jpg
    bird ID.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 89
Wild guess ... short-eared owl? The second photo suggests a very blunt head and the wing positions the fluttery flight characteristic of the SEO ...

Hi all,

I confirm Marsh Owls. By the way, Marsh Owl is an easy species, while I struggled to get Short-eared in Morocco, where I've probably the best list for the country (about 350 sp seen in 20+ trips), finally found (2 times) at Moulouya estuary in November.

I've been 10 years member of the rare birds committee and they are indeed very little records, though it passes through the country every year, for sure...

Cheers

I almost put Marsh Owl in my above speculation. Never seen one but the shot just reminded me of the many Short-eared Owls I've seen ... same genus, and similar habitat and habits, I assume.

Thank you all for your replies. I thought about Marsh Owl as well, but because the species was not recorded this far north since ages made me think twice about it. It should be remembered though that the Marsh Owl was breeding here (in Smir marshes) just a few decades ago. Nice record indeed, I will ask the photographer (Rachid El Khamlichi) to send me the original photographs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back