• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird ID (Spain) (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Thanks John that’s interesting - My original comments were simply to reflect the current taxonomic situation not to start a long debate, so apologies for going off topic! I think we all agree there are a lot of slippery slopes here. Regarding observations quoted above from the 70’s and the Southward movements through the Straits, it would be interesting to know if these were what are now regarded as the Gibraltar buzzards that I mentioned earlier the ( local rufous type birds Dick Forseman regards as hybrids B.b.b.x B.r.c.. or maybe we’ve moved on from that, I don’t know!) https://www.magornitho.org/2012/09/gibraltar-buzzard/

I believe there have been studies of hybrid buteo introgression into cirtensis on the North African side of the straits (I cant recall where I read that) but it would lend support to a two way gene flow between two sedentary populations of these B.b.b x B.r.c hybrids which along with the DNA studies referred to above, giving credence to the reorganisation of the taxa in the direction you state.

I’m not a taxonomist either - I just want to be able to identify the ruddy things!

Apologies SLopez for derailing your thread, I’ll stop now :loveme:

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
As I understand it recent DNA studies show that North African Buzzards cirtensis are most closely related to Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) not Long-legged Buzzard (Buteo rufinus) and should be treated as a race of the former.
That's what I've understood too, but as yet, IOC* haven't transferred it [yet]. So it's still 'officially' Buteo rufinus cirtensis :t:

* scroll to near the end of the page for Buteo.

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Sorry for not answering before. First of all, thank you all for your answers. I guess we will never be sure what this bird was. The harrier seems okay to me in colour, although my impression at the field was a smaller size. However, as someone said above, the distance between the bird and me was huge, so it was difficult to tell the exact size of the bird.

Users who are viewing this thread