• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID- Staten Island (1 Viewer)

The head is turned at an angle and is facing the camera, so it could look different than expectations.

JZS, I'm curious where on Staten Island was the photo taken? Close to the shore, or not?

Boat Tailed Grackle is quite rare in NYC.
There is one currently in Central Park, which has been associating with a large flock of Common Grackles all winter, but that is the only one reported near here afaik.
Separately, there is a partly leucistic Common Grackle with a white head that is also present in the Park and these are somewhat routine.
So I'd guess this bird is probably one of those, but doubt that this photo allows a firm conclusion.

JZS, I'm curious where on Staten Island was the photo taken? Close to the shore, or not?

Hi Microtus, the photo was taken at Jones Woods park on Staten Island, which is rather close to the New York Harbor (a bit under a mile away). It was also a photo taken by a trail camera, so nobody was there to intimidate the bird (maybe relevant for more shy species).

Attachments

• 7EEE03BA-C613-49BE-9ADC-C04687DBDD28.jpg
    7EEE03BA-C613-49BE-9ADC-C04687DBDD28.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 20
Thanks JZS. I hadn't realized that this was a trail camera photo. I suspect based on the location, habitat, and relative paucity of eBird sightings of Boat-tail from last summer on Staten Island, that the bird is a Common Grackle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back