• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Taman Negara Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Alex S.

Both pictures are taken in Taman Negara NP in Malaysia. Lowland forest.
The first one is probably a small babbler and the second one seems a bulbul to me. But which species....
Best regards, Alex

Attachments

• babbler resize.JPG
    babbler resize.JPG
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 52
  • bulbul resize.JPG
    bulbul resize.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
Both pictures are taken in Taman Negara NP in Malaysia. Lowland forest.
The first one is probably a small babbler and the second one seems a bulbul to me. But which species....
Best regards, Alex

I’d say Moustached Babbler and Spectacled Bulbul. Less sure about the Babbler as the wing colouring looks wrong, but maybe that’s just due to the light conditions, and I can’t think what else it could be.

I would agree with Moustached Babbler for the 1st bird, as you can see the sharp demarcation between grey cheek and white throat, but I don't think the Bulbul is Spectacled, as it has neither an eyering or yellow base to the bill. I would suggest Red-eyed.

I would agree with Moustached Babbler for the 1st bird, as you can see the sharp demarcation between grey cheek and white throat, but I don't think the Bulbul is Spectacled, as it has neither an eyering or yellow base to the bill. I would suggest Red-eyed.

Yes, I agree with you on reflection. The Red-eyed I’ve seen have been rather more uniformly brown with less contrast between the wing and breast. And I had thought maybe the eyering on this bird was just weaker and less visible in the photo. But looking again, it really doesn’t have an eye ring at all does it! 😅

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back