• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID 'textbook' UK? (1 Viewer)

Mother_of_birds

United Kingdom
I was wondering if there are any UK bird ID books that read more like a school textbook? I have several ID books which are all great but they all tend to jump right into the individual species; they might have a very brief introduction to a group of birds but generally don't really go into much depth on this. It would be great to have a book that I could work through that actually teaches you the types of birds, then the individual species. Maybe even have some questions or tests in there too, rather than just flicking through a catalogue of text and images and hoping they stick!

I've not come across one, but it does sound an interesting idea!

But someone on here should know if there is one.

Fits your bill, I think. Written by an actual genuine ornithologist (not Attenborough!).
Look inside...

If you look at the Collins Guide, there is quite a detailed introductory section which goes through practices of identifying birds in a more general sense. It's not really long but it has quite detailed stuff about taking into account light conditions or moult. I agree though, that identifying broad types of birds is under-developed in field guides and is perhaps something that can make it hard for beginners to get into birding.

I agree with Richard. The Macmillan guides, with their wealth of general and specific information and vital illustrations, deserve places on every birders’ shelves. Make every effort to get hold of them;

The Macmillan Field Guide to Bird Identification by Alan Harris, Laurel Tucker & Keith Vinicombe (Macmillan 1989)

The Macmillan Birder’s Guide to European and Middle Eastern Birds by Alan Harris, Hadoram Shirihai & David Christie (Macmillan 1996)

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I started early 2021 but took a long break this year and just now getting back into it. I know the best way of learning is actually going out and birdwatching but I like to be prepared and it feels like there should be a better way of studying at home than leafing through a field guide.

Did you ever see this one:
Simon Barnes, How to be a bad birdwatcher
If nothing else it will be entertaining.
Niels
Oh yes, that's a great book Niels. Got it beside my bed to dip into every now and then. I love it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back