• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - The Douro River, Portugal, July 28-31st 2022. (1 Viewer)

Jamkat

Rob R
Hi,

I wonder if experts out there can ID these birds, mainly birds of prey I witnessed on the Douro river recently. I am sorry the quality of the images are not great, as I had a small lens.

I think 1 is an osprey. 2& 3 are the same bird, but from different angles. I think 4 & 5 are the same, and 8 is possibly the same as 5.

Thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

• Unidentified bird1.jpg
    Unidentified bird1.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Unidentified bird10.jpg
    Unidentified bird10.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • Unidentified bird9.jpg
    Unidentified bird9.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Unidentified bird8.jpg
    Unidentified bird8.jpg
    944 KB · Views: 95
  • Unidentified bird7.jpg
    Unidentified bird7.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Unidentified bird6.jpg
    Unidentified bird6.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • Unidentified bird5.jpg
    Unidentified bird5.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Unidentified bird4.jpg
    Unidentified bird4.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 92
  • Unidentified bird3.jpg
    Unidentified bird3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Unidentified bird2.jpg
    Unidentified bird2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
Hello,

do you have more pictures of the Osprey? I must admit, although I cant find hard features against it, I dont get an Osprey-vibe from this bird.
Is it the quite uniform dark head? Is any dark pattern on the underparts centered to the (rear) vent?
Can a Common Buzzard be excluded here?

How can it possibly be an Osprey with a tail that long?….they’ve got one of the shortest tails amongst the BOPS! 😮

Hello,

do you have more pictures of the Osprey? I must admit, although I cant find hard features against it, I dont get an Osprey-vibe from this bird.
Is it the quite uniform dark head? Is any dark pattern on the underparts centered to the (rear) vent?
Can a Common Buzzard be excluded here?
Hi Alexander, No I do not have any other pictures, I should have taken my long lens, it would have made it clear. What I did see is the "osprey" fishing, and its action was similar to what I have seen ospreys do in Poole Harbour. That's what made me think it was an osprey.

Number one is a moulting Booted eagle.

edit: having had a look again on a bigger screen, I agree with @jogresh - looks like STE.
Hi Daniel, I did see this "osprey" fishing, similar to how I have seen ospreys fish in Poole Harbour, but it seems from the replies I have received there is dispute over what number 1 is. I should have had my 400 lens!

How can it possibly be an Osprey with a tail that long?….they’ve got one of the shortest tails amongst the BOPS! 😮
Hi Ken, Thanks for your input. Looks like there is some dispute about Number 1. I did see this "osprey" fish, similar to the action of ospreys I have seen fish in Poole Harbour. It will teach me not to leave my 400mm lens at home again, with that I would have nailed it!

I'm going to go with Osprey for number one, common where I am in Japan, with the reservations that I have only seen STE and Booted a couple of times and not well, and therefore am partially judging from the books, and that 'Raptors of the World' doesn't seem to indicate Osprey in the location Douro, Portugal (though 'Birds of the World' online does).

I think that head pattern can only be Osprey (I think the bird is looking to the right of the photo (i.e. its own left)), and the underwing is fine, too. But, to repeat, very limited experience of the other possibilities mentioned.

Photo 1: Jamkat's bird adjusted photo.
Photo 2: An Osprey in my local spot (NB Japan, not Europe) from as near the same view as I had to Jamkat's bird.
Photo 3: In post #10, KenM commented on the tail length. I think the tail length in Jamkat's photo is because of the angle of the bird, and this photo also shows an apparent long tail.

BF Jamkat 220806.jpg191126005 Nara Ponds.JPG191126006 Nara Ponds.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back