• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Identification Assistance (1 Viewer)

Yetiuno

United States
Hello,

I've recently crossed path with what I believe to be an injured/sick bird- here in the city of Las Vegas. It can't fly, seems off balance, nails are long.

Can you please help me identify? I can't find another bird online with the exact same characteristics.

Thank you

20220323_175020.jpg

Attachments

• 20220323_175037.jpg
    20220323_175037.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20220323_175024.jpg
    20220323_175024.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220323_083106.jpg
    20220323_083106.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Hello. It's surprising that a bird enthusiast such as yourself has not seen this type of bird before. Why do you recommend I take it to the Human Society? I called animal control to tell them of my plan to take it home to nurse it a bit, they gave their blessing- and direct phone number just in case.
I can't help you with an ID but it would be a good idea to bring it to a local humane society or bird vet.

Oh and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

Could just be fatigued - i get racing pigeons sitting in all sorts of places and as they are released from distances far from where they are kept so they could be tired or fatigued. Bad weather also grounds them. Racers have distinct numbered rings. Yours looks ornamental to me. I would offer it some high protein food like egg or mealworms (you can get them dried) and some water. I wouldn’t bother involving agencies if it is ok and not ill it should recover but that is only my opinion.

Good luck -

Laurie -

Hello. It's surprising that a bird enthusiast such as yourself has not seen this type of bird before. Why do you recommend I take it to the Human Society? I called animal control to tell them of my plan to take it home to nurse it a bit, they gave their blessing- and direct phone number just in case.
Because not a wild bird that KC could put a name to; she may have known it was a type of pigeon but not going to put a name to it (indeed it may not be a named variety, and knowing about domestic birds a completely different hobby anyway.)

I don't think KC was suggesting you take it somewhere for it to be humanely put down - rather take it to a vet or charity which could give some advice or treat it!

(Agree with it being an ornamental type Feral Pigeon (as opposed to a white dove))

Welcome to BF, and good luck with it ;-)

Could just be fatigued - i get racing pigeons sitting in all sorts of places and as they are released from distances far from where they are kept so they could be tired or fatigued. Bad weather also grounds them. Racers have distinct numbered rings. Yours looks ornamental to me. I would offer it some high protein food like egg or mealworms (you can get them dried) and some water. I wouldn’t bother involving agencies if it is ok and not ill it should recover but that is only my opinion.

Good luck -

Laurie -
You should feed it grain or bird seed if you have any, not egg or mealworms. Fancy pigeons like this would normally be fed on Maple Peas or Tic Beans.

I disagree and it sounds like you are quoting from a book.

I am well aware what type of birds Pigeons are and what they generally eat but i can assure you i have seen my local feral ones foraging in soil for other food. In addition my local Wood Pigeons and Stock Doves forage freshly ploughed fields along with Corvids for whatever is available. I know this because i observe birds. Plenty of seed eating birds feed their young high protein invertebrate food when available and are more than capable of digesting it.

Anyway - this is akin to 2 bald men arguing over a comb so we will have to agree to disagree if you can do that these days.....

Laurie -

I disagree and it sounds like you are quoting from a book.

I am well aware what type of birds Pigeons are and what they generally eat but i can assure you i have seen my local feral ones foraging in soil for other food. In addition my local Wood Pigeons and Stock Doves forage freshly ploughed fields along with Corvids for whatever is available. I know this because i observe birds. Plenty of seed eating birds feed their young high protein invertebrate food when available and are more than capable of digesting it.

Anyway - this is akin to 2 bald men arguing over a comb so we will have to agree to disagree if you can do that these days.....

Laurie -
Not quoting it from a book but I did keep pigeons for 25 years, Tumblers, Rollers & Fantails and I never ever fed them egg or mealworms but there is no point in continuing this discussion, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Could this be one of these white fancy pigeons released by thousands at big events? These pigeons will not fly home but just scatter around the area and die.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back