• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird identification help (1 Viewer)

wildwalker

Hello. I have tried too ID these birds from a book and online but I'm struggling, any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
All bird picts taken at Sillverdale, Lancashire on 14/08/16.

Attachments

• DSC_0430 (2).JPG
    DSC_0430 (2).JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 158
  • CSC_0439 (2).JPG
    CSC_0439 (2).JPG
    287 KB · Views: 135
  • CSC_0511 (2).JPG
    CSC_0511 (2).JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 123
  • CSC_0525.JPG
    CSC_0525.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 139
Well 1, 3 & 4 are juveniles so that makes things a bit more confusing at this time of year as most field guides don't cover them well.

I'd say ....

1. Juvenile chiffchaff for me despite the prominent supercilium and the pale legs. The primary projection is short, and the cheek is a uniform colour.
2. Spotted flycatcher
3 Juvenile Northern Wheatear
4. Juvenile Common redstart - male, juvenile moulting to adult plumage.

Mick

Well 1, 3 & 4 are juveniles so that makes things a bit more confusing at this time of year as most field guides don't cover them well.

I'd say ....

1. Juvenile chiffchaff for me despite the prominent supercilium and the pale legs. The primary projection is short, and the cheek is a uniform colour.
2. Spotted flycatcher

Mick
Thank you I can name the pictures now

Yes well now I look more carefully on a big screen I see the outer primary extends further than I could see on my tablet .... mouthful of humble pie taken.... WW it is.
Mick

I'd say ....

2. Spotted flycatcher

Mick

They have all moulted into first winter plumage particularly noticeable in the Wheatear and the Redstart, which both have a drap greyish and brownish plumage with distinct spotting in their juvenile plumages, lacking the richness of colour so obvious in these pics.

Peter

Agreed Peter, I used the (technically inaccurate as you say) term 'juvenile' here to avoid further confusion. Suffice to say they were born this year......

Agreed Peter, I used the (technically inaccurate as you say) term 'juvenile' here to avoid further confusion. Suffice to say they were born this year......

Thought so, but ringers here in Denmark claim that adult Redstart males can be as drap as your bird in fresh plumage (IMO it's a rather well-coloured 1cy)........

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back