• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird identification North Wales - beautiful song (images supplied) (1 Viewer)

Sswanston

Hello

I’m new to the forum and I was hoping someone would be able to help identify a bird which I’ve heard many times but I haven’t seen up close until today.

I regularly hear this bird singing - It’s song lasts for a few minutes at a time and sounds like lots of different bird songs strung together. It is a greyish/taupe colour underneath and darker on the tail, back and top of the head. I would say it’s about the size of a blackbird. Here’s a picture:

C6C6F16C-F851-4F43-B8E5-12297774A781.jpg

I live on the edge of woodland in the hills of North Wales and we have a wide variety of birds in and around the village including buzzards, tawny owls, kingfishers and woodpeckers.

It would be lovely to know what this bird might be.

Sarah

Sswanston

Great, thank you both! Yes, the top of the head was definitely a little darker. I was quite surprised at the size of the bird when I saw it.

I had a Google online and the nearest thing I could find in song and looks was a gray catbird but these seem to be in North America

Apologies for the picture - I took it with my phone from quite a distance! I will try and get a better picture if I see it again

Users who are viewing this thread