• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in distress screaming!? HELP (1 Viewer)

BabySparrow101

I woke up this morning, and heard a bird screaming in one of the nearby Evergreen Trees. It was a single note yelp and was very disturbing. We've never heard anything like this before from the birds. There were a bunch of birds flying around it seeming upset, I believe either starlings or grackles. I live on Long Island, NY.

What bird do you think made this noise, and why? Audio recording attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4715.TRIM.mp3
    200.1 KB · Views: 144
So not “screaming“ but “laughing“. . .. ;)

Haha yeah!

I’ve never heard a laughing gull before, so it’s typical call sounded distressing to me. It took me all day to figure out, since everyone was saying it’s a raven. Definitely not guys :p I’m pleased with myself though :king:

Trust me, we have a mall nearby where seagulls flock in huge numbers. Now that it’s closed, it makes sense they’d migrate outside it. I’m 5 minutes from the mall. The call I heard matched it exactly, so my arms are tied.

Just want to reiterate that the bird in the recording is a Common Raven! They can be shockingly loud and wild-sounding.

A Laughing Gull could be seen over a backyard, especially on Long Island. However, as Microtus and nartreb pointed out, a Laughing Gull in a tree would be nearly impossible. The only North American gull known to perch in trees at ANY time is Bonaparte's Gull, and certainly not when they're migrating through the U.S.

I appreciate that you think you've got the ID, but the grating call is spot on for a raven and a Laughing Gull simply wouldn't be in a tree.

I hadn't even listened to the recording, because I've got a tin ear, but this one really isn't close. The rhythm and pace are all wrong for laughing gull. It sounds very much like a corvid to me, and in fact it's a perfect match for Common Raven as found on xeno-canto.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back