• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in North Central Texas (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

Saw this bird at one of my feeders last Saturday here north of Fort Worth, TX and just couldn't decide what it was. The large beak made me think possible Grosbeak of some kind which would be a migrant if so. Also considered a female House Finch which I see quite often, but coloring just doesn't fit. Thought maybe someone on here might have a clue.

Attachments

• IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 55
Looks like a blue grosbeak (female/immature) to me. Texas is entirely in their summer range. Coloring fits, including bill color; so does highly curved seed-crushing surface of lower bill. Having had the same model of feeder, I can say the size looks right too.
Indigo bunting (female/imm) has very similar color, but weaker bill and paler throat. I'm no expert in either of the two species, but I think this photo looks more like a grosbeak.

Looks like a blue grosbeak (female/immature) to me. Texas is entirely in their summer range. Coloring fits, including bill color; so does highly curved seed-crushing surface of lower bill. Having had the same model of feeder, I can say the size looks right too.
Indigo bunting (female/imm) has very similar color, but weaker bill and paler throat. I'm no expert in either of the two species, but I think this photo looks more like a grosbeak.
That was my suspicion, but I've been birding for almost 20 years and have never had a Blue Grosbeak at my feeders. I have had Rose breasted and Black headed come through during Spring or Fall migration, and I did consider the Indigo Bunting which I have seen on occasion, but, like you, the bill on this bird looked too large. Thanks for the response.

I am pretty sure it is a House Finch, but am open to discussion. Many subtle factors clear this up, the contrast of the dark flight feathers with the lighter brown scapular feathers is a clue. Also I think we would see some hint of orange wing bars if it were a Blue Grosbeak. The tail seems long for Blue Grosbeak. Obviously House Finch would be a much more expected species at a feeder than a Blue Grosbeak, but I do personally know someone who had Blue Grosbeaks visiting their feeder at least once. I think there may be some missing feathers around the base of the beak making it appaer larger, but Blue Grosbeak shold have a silvery or gray beak, whereas this one looks more tan or flesh colored which is more normal for House Finch.

I thought the wings were too dark for house finch, and there's that color change across the mantle that matches blue grosbeak very well. On the other hand, head shape and bill color, plus lack of visible wing bars, are points in favor of house finch. If there's a shadow making the wings and half the mantle look darker, then it could well be a house finch. Bill looks thicker, but I rarely see them open.

After going back and looking at the photos I took, I now am sure it's a House Finch. Photos was taken early in the morning and pretty shadowy and not focused very well. All but one showed the bird from its backside. The one where she partially faced toward me was so dark, I didn't really look at it, but went back and lightened it up and see stripped underparts which are consistent for a House Finch which a Blue Grosbeak wouldn't have, and it would be the more likely bird to be at my feeders since it is more common to see. I think the dark color of the feathers and the size of its bill which just seemed a little larger threw me off.

It would be helpful, interesting and instructive - for the people who have been helping you with your query, and also for the many others in the forum who have been following the discussions - if you could post some of the other photos, now that we know they exist. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back