• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia (1 Viewer)

Some kind of goose? (It was the size of a duck).
We looked at a website of common geese in N.S., but it wasn't listed.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 10.28.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 10.28.10 AM.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 59
This is an excellent find for your area - or anywhere in North America. A quick look at ebird and I find records of one bird seen various places around Shubencadie in 2017, but nothing before or since. This is worth reporting to your local rare bird hotline or listserve.

This is an excellent find for your area - or anywhere in North America. A quick look at ebird and I find records of one bird seen various places around Shubencadie in 2017, but nothing before or since. This is worth reporting to your local rare bird hotline or listserve.

They are common in collections, so perhaps an escape?

The presence of a band does not tell you whether or not a bird is wild.

I would report it, and let the local authorities try to determine who might have banded it.

Authorities in Greenland and Scotland (the normal breeding and wintering grounds, respectively, for the nearest population to Canada) do (or did) band wild Barnacle geese, and some of these have been found in Canada (and the US too).
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/122-136 OB V35 #3 Dec 2017.pdf

I do not know, however, whether they use the same style of bands as shown in your photo.

The presence of a band does not tell you whether or not a bird is wild.

I would report it, and let the local authorities try to determine who might have banded it.

Authorities in Greenland and Scotland (the normal breeding and wintering grounds, respectively, for the nearest population to Canada) do (or did) band wild Barnacle geese, and some of these have been found in Canada (and the US too).
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/122-136 OB V35 #3 Dec 2017.pdf

I do not know, however, whether they use the same style of bands as shown in your photo.
That's not the sort they use - it would be a taller, lettered colour ring on one leg, and a smaller metal ring on the other leg. Pretty sure this will be a breeder's ring. Still worth reporting though, so that others are aware that it is around.

There is a lot of shade on this photo. Not exactly the place where you would expect a Barnacle Goose to hang around when free ranging. My guess would be it was in a park, right?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back