• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird list (1 Viewer)

Zam

England
Hi i live in somerset and i have 50 birds left to see in the uk and i was wondering if i could get some advice on seeing these birds.

Birds list

Bean goose

Long tailed duck

Rough legged buzzard

Hen harrier

Purple sandpiper

Turnstone

Yellow legged gull

Iceland gull

Glaucous gull

Water pipit

Waxwing

Firecrest

Hawfinch

Lapland bunting

Red necked grebe

Quail

Corncrake

dotterol

Nightingale

Pied flycatcher

Capercaillie

Golden pheasants

Woodlark

Rock pipit

Hooded crow

Parrot crossbill

cirl bunting

Cory’s shearwater

Baldric’s shearwater

Leach’s petrel

Little stint

Timminks stint

Pectoral sandpiper

Red necked phalarope

Long tailed skua

Sabine’s gull

Roseate tern

Black tern

Wryneck

Shore lark

Bluethroat

Marsh warbler

Icterine warbler

Barred warbler

Pallas’s warbler

Yellow browed warbler

Red breasted flycatcher

Common rose finch

Ortolan bunting

Whose list are you using to get your 50 left? Surely not the official British List.

Whose list are you using to get your 50 left? Surely not the official British List.

it is from the rspb handbook of british birds peter holden and tim cleeves fourth edition

220 at age 14 must be quite good going! (I was in Wincanton, in the east, at that age, which was mostly a bird free zone.)

Depending on which part of Somerset you are in, getting down to the Weymouth/Portland Bill area a few times a year (especially autumn) should see a number of them fall, other coastal locations exist.

Also depends on whether you want to achieve that list ASAP, or take what comes to you in general birding - if general birding you can expect many of them to fall naturally as you bird various iconic locations or reserves /habitats/ twitch other rarities (Firecrest and Turnstone especially widespread)

Otherwise as examples eg Norfolk for a fair few (RL Buzzard, Bean Goose, Shorelark), Cornwall especially for a few seawatches (July/August and October possibly) etc Some of them (eg RN Phalarope) are proper rarities and not 'regular' british birds in the same way that others are.

Last edited:
220 at age 14 must be quite good going! (I was in Wincanton, in the east, at that age, which was mostly a bird free zone.)

Depending on which part of Somerset you are in, getting down to the Weymouth/Portland Bill area a few times a year (especially autumn) should see a number of them fall, other coastal locations exist.

Also depends on whether you want to achieve that list ASAP, or take what comes to you in general birding - if general birding you can expect many of them to fall naturally as you bird various iconic locations or reserves /habitats/ twitch other rarities (Firecrest and Turnstone especially widespread)

Otherwise as examples eg Norfolk for a fair few (RL Buzzard, Bean Goose, Shorelark), Cornwall especially for a few seawatches (July/August and October possibly) etc Some of them (eg RN Phalarope) are proper rarities and not 'regular' british birds in the same way that others are.
Thank you so much for the advice i live near the mendips wells near glastonbury

There are more widely used bird reporting sites where you can find recent sightings for your target species (I'm not British so not familiar what they are) but ebird is a quite user friendly (if less used in the UK) way to go about that. Check out https://ebird.org/home . Under "Explore" you can view range maps for a given species that includes all sightings.

I was about three short of 500 in the UK before I saw my first quail so that may take some doing. I will say that's unusual. Mind you by the time I was only a few years older than you I had heard several; they'd just never come out.

of the birds you mentioned near you there has been a little stint at slimbridge this week and a long tailed duck at Barrow gurney reservoir near Bristol.

Turnstone, purple sandpiper and rock pipit should be quite easy on the coast around now. Brixham in Devon has very easy purple sandpipers and is near good cirl bunting sites. Rock pipit and turnstone should be just about every rocky bit of coast right now.

Edit. Oh and there’s been a water pipit at ham wall this week which is very close to you. No idea how easy to see

Obviously at 14 ‘near you’ might be dependent on lifts but they’re within an hour and a half I’d guess

Last edited:
Also I think the list is a bit out of date. There are probably quite a few seabirds for example that are far more common (although localised and hard to see) than golden pheasants these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back