• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey, Gujarat, India Feb 2019 (1 Viewer)

jrawcliffe

ID help please.
DSC00493.jpgWe were told that this a Changeable Hawk Eagle in Gir National Park. The primary projection was just short of what looked like an all-dark tail.
I have a video which shows the bird from several angles but I'm not sure how to create a link to it.

Note the bare tarsi and the pale breast band: this is a Buteo. Someone else will let you know which species (I'd guess a vulpinus Common Buzzard, but I'm not entirely sure of other options in the area).

I have no idea but I did want to mention how cool it was looking at it with the deer? so close ;)

Yes, it is an adult vulpinus Common Buzzard = Steppe Buzzard. If someone said that it is a Changeable Hawk Eagle, he/she obviously knows what is commonly seen in the park, but is not really identifying birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back