• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey - Pellet - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

Yesterday evening I was out looking for owls in the local area and on a pillar, around 2 meters tall, where I have seen Short eared owl sit on before, I found this.. But many other birds of prey are active in the area... I have search online to see if I can find any good place to see pictures of different birds "left overs", but only limited with information and I couldn't find anything that looked exactly like this..

Is it possible to determine the species out from the pellets or it's random how it looks from time to time.. ?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Pillar.JPG
    Pillar.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Hi Tom

Thanks for your answer.. There are a surely foxes in the area as well, but just out of curiosity, will a bird take it up there in a height of around 2 meters, since I doubt a fox can do that.. :) Wouldn't expect a bird to feed on other animals "left overs"?

I didn't touch it, for the same reason, since I wasn't sure what it was, except the reed which I used to hold it with..

Hi Tom

Thanks for your answer.. There are a surely foxes in the area as well, but just out of curiosity, will a bird take it up there in a height of around 2 meters, since I doubt a fox can do that.. :)
2 meters on a rather small wooden pillar would indeed be rather unusual, so Pine marten might be an option

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back