• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Photography Goals (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

Thinking ahead to a new year of bird photography, what birds are top of your wish list? What other goals do you have?

Im hoping for decent opportunities with Kingfishers, Barn and Little Owls, (any Owl, really; the latter being favourites) Green Woodpecker and a few others Ive got in mind.

I purchased a portable hide about 7 months ago, not even used it yet; it sounds like a crisp bag! lol Once up, Im hoping it may serve a purpose.

Best wishes,

Interesting,Tom.I would like a shot of the Tree creeper I see at Muncaster.I also have seen a Woodie in these same woods,so would love a shot.But just happy to be able to take shots of our local birds and share them with others on my website,and here on BF.2 days ago I saw a Buzzard perching in a hedge,stopped my trike ,but he was away,would loved to have taken this shot.Quite content to manage decent shots of the local wildlife.But would be over the moon if I managed a shot of an Owl or a species not previously taken.

I am hoping for a Brambling this winter also from my new portable camo hide,and it would be nice to get some decent shots of a Spur winged plover in the spring,but as long as I improve my skills in the coming year I will be reasonably happy.

I'm always happy when I can get a shot of a species I've not photographed before, had ~25 photographic first this year so would like to do similar next year. As for target species, top of the list for me is dipper, closely followed by bullfinch, sparrowhawk, short-eared owl and kingfisher.

Barn Owl, Short Eared Owl, Barn Owl, Short Eared Owl, Barn Owl, Short Eared Owl....

And after that, taking an image i'm truly happy with.

I've a trip to the Farne Isles in mind in June, so some images of the terns there, eiders in the surf, puffins etc would be great. Other than that, I would echo Paul!

Barn Owl, Short Eared Owl, Barn Owl, Short Eared Owl, Barn Owl, Short Eared Owl....

Another one who is hoping the owls at Welney come back again, I see! Can't think of anything too specific, but it'd be good to get a species that's a real sod to photograph - Hawfinch, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Merlin, Quail, Golden Oriole, any of the warblers, etc. Two of our local specialities are Hobby and Nightjar and I haven't got anything on these yet, so there's a goal for 2008!

Jokin aside, Adrian, actually, my passion is trying to make 'regular' birds look their best in the shots I take. So i quite agree with you there!

Gigrin is fantastic, went there a couple of weeks ago. It's well worth paying the extra for the better hides though.

As for my list, I'm a Owl and bird of prey man myself so anything of those would be good.

Some decent Wader shots,a Kingfisher wing stretching or doing something other than just perching would be nice.Hopefully the Redtstarts I photographed this summer will be back next summer.

Steve.

Reading through all these responses it becomes clear that certain birds that are very common in some ares are comparitively difficult to spot in others. e.g. I get lots of Goldfinches & Bull Finches in my garden which is in the middle of Warrington while others have these on their wish list. In reverse, some have birds like Tree Creeper, Owls, Hawfinch, Nightjar etc. which I might never see.
I know this is stating the obvious but I thought it was interesting to note it in the responses. I know that certain birds are only seen in certain areas but because I see some species regularly I just assume that everyone else does-but not so.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back