• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song - Scotland, April this year (1 Viewer)

mummymonkey

Supporter
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I was checking out the web cam at Loch of the Lowes a while back and heard an unusual sound. The next evening it was there again, though slightly different and I took a short recording.

I'm not even 100% sure it's a bird but I know of nothing amphibian or otherwise around here that could make such a noise. I wondered if it might be a bird (jay?) very close to the microphone?

At around 1 minute you can hear what appears to be another individual "answer" in the distance.

All very strange. Anyway, what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQ2KKR3fiI

No idea, but it is nothing like a European Jay.

Remote monitoring and telemetry devices do emit what I can only describe as "wave pulse tones" and perhaps this is being picked up and recorded as sounds.

There have been other mysterious sounds ( repetitive and rhythmical phrases ) put up for identification that also originated as recordings from web cams.

Failing that, aliens have invaded Scotland.

Edit: Delia has found a likely explanation.

Last edited:
Cheers Mummymonkey (love that username LOL) - it's quite interesting that, I've never heard those noises before this year.

BTW All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage and if we're ever able to do so again, as there's often an element of car sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back