• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird species seen just the once in your yard/garden. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Don’t have to be rare or scarce (although that is often the norm). They might generally occur beyond, behind or flying over your abode, however they must have landed on “your furniture” including roofs and TV aerials to qualify...but only recorded the once.
It might appear to favour those that have a long term residency, although it’s actually aimed at regular birds that generally pass by but “never“ land and when doing so...cause a bit of excitement....In 38 years I’ve had Grey Heron, Stock Dove, Mallard, Moorhen, Waxwing and Swallow, what might your singles be?

.....put it down to lockdown stress :)

Cheers

I'll play, I've got plenty of once only seen/heard on the Garden/Yard List in our five years here, but only four 'happy landings' as you might say, actually on the house or perched on our land: Lesser Redpoll, Lesser Whitethroat, Northern Wheatear and of course the 2019 Pine Bunting (y)

Treecreeper & Goldcrest in the last 7 years.
Treecreeper would have been on “my single occurrence list” just a few years back, only for having a single record for each of the last two years...and that’s backing on to 6000 acres of broad leaved woodland!

Cheers

I'll play, I've got plenty of once only seen/heard on the Garden/Yard List in our five years here, but only four 'happy landings' as you might say, actually on the house or perched on our land: Lesser Redpoll, Lesser Whitethroat, Northern Wheatear and of course the 2019 Pine Bunting (y)
Pine Bunting aside Richard...as if 😄, am surprised at just a single Redpoll, mind you your tenancy has been relatively brief so far, I’m sure they will occur more frequently in the future.👍

Waxwing in the snowy Winter of 2009 landed in the Crab Apple for around 90 seconds with a mixed flock of Redwing and Fieldfare, I was day off work and had just made a coffee and was looking out the window when I spotted it.

Mississippi Kite, White-winged Crossbill (although there were about a dozen of them at the time), bald eagle.
Wow Jeff!....were these all perched up at their occurrence times?
At a previous urban address I have one species seen by a fellow birder, but not by me (grrrh!); Woodcock! Also a flyover escaped African Grey Parrot.
Missing out on Woodcock...that would have caused me great pain! ☹️

Would the Song Thrush have been the most unusual Chris?
It's a fairly widespread bird here Ken, just far shyer of humans than their UK cousins! Blackbirds are the same, we have only had them in the garden in the most extreme winter conditions. Nice idea for a thread!

Chris

Wow Jeff!....were these all perched up at their occurrence times?
No.

I came home from work one evening and found the kite flying over my apartment. I looked up, saw this raptor with a lighter head and first thought it was an eagle, but then I realized it was a kite. Before I could run inside and get my bins, it was gone. Total fluke.

The eagles I saw from my balcony one time. I expect if I spent more time out there with bins I'd see more, but it's not the greatest habitat. I live right along a motorway, but there's a park on the far side.

The crossbills were perched in a spruce tree across from my apartment one morning. It was a major irruption year, and I saw an even larger flock than that in a different part of town that same day.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back